Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So what do I really need for my hospital bag?

(13 Posts)
knorrig Thu 20-Apr-17 14:19:38

More of a question to those who've done it before!

There's lots of lists about but I wondered from voices of experience what I really needed?

I'm 30+5 and have a real feeling he'll come early so thought I'd better start getting sorted!

Blumkin Thu 20-Apr-17 14:23:14

Apart from usual baby clothes, maternity pads, etc

Straws - gas and air makes me thirsty but I couldn't hold a cup during contracting.dh would just point the straw towards me and I could drink without spilling anything

A gift for the midwives (box of chocolates and a card to say thanks)

If planning to breastfeed a tube of lansinoh nipple cream (comes in a purple tube)

MrsBartlettforthewin Thu 20-Apr-17 15:19:11

Snacks, more for afterwards as during they make me through up. But afterwards I crave sugar- starburst are my go to.

Slippers/ thick socks and a dressing gown never mind how hot the mat ward is after birth I'm always cold.

My own pillow.

Fragglez Thu 20-Apr-17 15:26:11

Non fizzy energy drinks in case it is a long labour - ideally in a bottle with a sports top so you can drink at any angle.

Gentle soap for the shower afterwards (in case of tears / stitches. I used baby wash.

Paracetamol for dp. The last thing i wanted to hear was that he had a headache!

EdgarAllenPoe Thu 20-Apr-17 19:09:30

I wish I'd packed tweezers! I was in for nearly a week altogether. My scratchy chin hairs drove me bonkers! Despite all the indignities childbirth involves, which I was fine with, I was still too proud to ask anyone to bring me some.

ruthieruthuk Thu 20-Apr-17 22:01:20

Lounge wear / Nightwear
Plenty underwear
Maternity pads
Change of clothes
Toiletries
Hairbrush / Combe

Nappies
Body suits
Sleep suits
Blanket or u could just use hospital ones
Water wipes

Wouldn't bother packing snacks, drinks, hospitals usually stock stuff, and partners usually happy to fetch stuff from shop as of when required, gives them some time out, lol!

Blumkin Sat 22-Apr-17 21:44:45

Oh, and a baby nail file. Dd was born with razor blade nails, and had scratched her face in the first few minutes of being born.

HeyMicky Sat 22-Apr-17 21:49:32

Separate snacks for your DH/DP <hungry voice of experience>

Anditstartsagain Sat 22-Apr-17 21:49:35

Snacks and magazines both my babies either slept of fed the first few days I had nothing else to do but eat and read. I couldnt sleep with everyone buzzing about. I was only in 22 hours then 36 hours (only because i had emcs) after so never needed much and anything I wanted could be brought to me. If you end up being induced bring movies it's so long and boring.

mum2be2boys Mon 24-Apr-17 01:05:44

I agree with previous suggestions of straws and a baby nail file. I couldn't get over the size and sharpness of my son's nails! I also used lip balm a lot which I don't really use normally.

raviolidreaming Mon 24-Apr-17 06:28:22

Separate snacks for your DH/DP

They can pack their own snacks - you've got enough to think about!

CaptainWarbeck Mon 24-Apr-17 06:51:47

I'd take a nice mini of shower gel for washing after the birth - I had a Molton Brown one and it was a bit of luxury to get rid of all the yukkinness of birth in the shower.

Phone charger, kindle, headphones for postnatal ward when baby is sleeping

Coffeepleeeaase Mon 24-Apr-17 07:08:10

iPad and headphones ! I was in the hospital for a long while my waters broke early and then went on to have a prem baby. If I hadn't of had the iPad with netflix I would have lost my mind haha ! Especially on the post natal 4 bed ward !!
Some really nice shower gel and coffee sachets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now