Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Easy supper ideas please!

(16 Posts)
user1492458803 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:38:59

So, not morning sickness but I've got an awful food aversion going on. Trying to do the online shop is near impossible!

I normally meal plan for the week and cook most of it from scratch as I LOVE cooking, but I'm finding cooking is putting me off eating. DH is a bit fed up of pasta, pizza and chicken. Last night I cooked beans, waffles and chicken kievs sad I cannot have anything to do with raw meat at the moment and I seem to have gone off veg a bit too.

Can anyone recommend some easy but really nice ready meals type things? I always cook from scratch and just have no idea what to get but obviously I need to feed the three of us!

(DH cooks at the weekends but it isn't fair to ask him to cook in the week because he's got work to do)

So far I have a Jon Thorner's pie which are gorgeous, I just need to shove that in the oven and throw veg and potatoes in pans.

I'm just scrolling though ready meals on Ocado but nothing is taking my fancy sad

Kiwi32 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:41:33

Could you buy cooked chicken breast to shred into things like Thai green curry? Or soup or stews? Just add at last minute like you would with leftovers?

user1492458803 Thu 20-Apr-17 12:24:42

I only buy free range higher welfare chicken, the precooked stuff only states British so I couldn't eat it.

This is the problem, I'm fussy enough at the best of times, let alone with a food aversion

Cineraria Thu 20-Apr-17 12:45:22

I am exactly the same at the moment and strangely really miss cooking too even thigh ding it would make me sick!

I can't eat much in the evening, so just have toast, but DH still needs to and has switched to ready meals. He really likes the Tesco's finest Indian ones. There are a few different ones. They seem to be ok with being packaged and heated more than other meals he's tried. He also likes their mushroom and chicken Madeira dish in the same range. Not sure if that's useful if you're just using Ocado though. I also bought quiche and served it with salad and potatoes last time I pregnant, when I was able to eat again. Oh and ready made tapas dishes were great too, so we could have the same meal but he could have something meaty and I could focus on potatoes, beans, omelette etc. We got them from Waitrose, M&S and Tesco and I think Tesco's were the nicest.

Kiwi32 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:01:48

Oh that's a good point about the chicken-it's so annoying why don't they do free range cooked stuff? Could DH prep meat and weekend and bung in oven? So you've got some cooked to add to stuff through week?

Otherwise ready meal wise I like Waitrose and Sainsbury's the best but I only every really get the curries. You could do some fresh soups and toasted sandwiches? Omelette and salad? (Not sure how you feel about eggs?!)

Or maybe buy a vegetarian cookbook-The ottolenghi one is good.

PutThatPomBearBack Thu 20-Apr-17 14:13:20

What about something sweet potato based?

Or chickpea and spinach stew/curry

Couscous stuffed peppers

Veggie burgers

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Thu 20-Apr-17 14:30:35

I have struggled with raw meat with my pregnancies especially chicken and pork was a no go.
As another person suggested get your OH to prep and cook the chicken you normally buy then gpyojbe got some in the fridge.
You could add to
- lovely fresh clear broth with lots chopped veggies and haricot beans cooked in it. I use kale, garlic, carrot, leek, celery and a potato all diced.. A dollop of (homemade Parmesan free if you're v conscientious I'm not) op with lots of fresh herbs and raw chopped baby tomatoes stirred in once served up is gorgeous and very healthy.
-Curry sauce - Thai or Indian with chapatis.
-Pasta with roast veggies
-Spinach with walnuts, avocado, spring onion, grilled haloumi and radish and a nice dressing.

I make roast tomato and red pepper and lentil soup in batches with garlic and balsamic vinegar. Have it with cheese and marmite toasties.

Salmon grilled served with chickpeas, garlic, spinach, lemon and shallot stir fry. V quick and easy and v filling. Nice with chicken or feta cheese and Pitta if you can't stomach fish.

Pink grapefruit, feta, watermelon and red onion salad is very refreshing and a bit different.

Scrambled eggs with Philadelphia stirred in topped with a couple of rashers of crispy bacon and served on a wholemeal bagel.

I'm hungry now 😂

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Thu 20-Apr-17 14:31:29

Sorry don't know what that word at the start was....

Dollop of ot was supposed to be pesto. 🙈

Cineraria Thu 20-Apr-17 14:33:34

I just remembered a couple of other ready made things I used last time I was pregnant. Not sure if they might tempt you. I liked the Linda McCartney cheese and onion plaits with a tomato based salad or the Aunt Bessie veggie toad in the hole (and your DH could have a meat one, maybe) with peas and sweetcorn.

Can't wait until I feel like eating in the evening again!

westeringhome Thu 20-Apr-17 17:04:10

There's a lot of online companies that deliver ready meals made from free range meat / organic ingredients, can be quite expensive though. There's a few small businesses round our way that do home cooked meals in a variety of portion sizes too, maybe there's something like that where you live too.

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 20-Apr-17 17:12:00

We rely on frozen Youngs basa fillets quite a lot
And flavoured microwave rice
You can make a great curry with cauliflower, potato and hard boiled egg

Chamonix1 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:33:53

Could've written this, so far alwe have lived off the following:
-jacket potatoes filled with beans, cheese, tuna etc.
- cheese on toast
-beans on toast
-everything on toast
-pasta with tuna, cheese, mayo, pasta with cheese and tomato pasta sauces
-pre bought cod/ chicken, chips and mixed veg/beans
-soup with cheese toasties
- pizza with salad
- meat and two veg. Usually at weekends when DH about to cook meat!
- eggs and beans on toast!
- keives and chips and veg

God that's bad but it's basically picky toddler food that I can handle. Not much help- sorry!

haveacupoftea Thu 20-Apr-17 18:16:27

Tesco and m&s both have a range of cooked meats that you can add to stir fry, fajitas, soup or whatever and I can verify they're nice and edible as I am really, really fussy about meat.

Astro55 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:20:13

Can you buy ready to cook meat?

Slow cooked pork
Jacket potatoes
Sausage casserole or
Pasta bake
Egg and chips
Soups and nice bread
Cold pasta salad and fish

User2468 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:25:30

Chamonix that's basically been my diet! Two weeks ago I had jacket potatoes for three meals in a row!

Went to Waitrose today and bought ready meals, even for the toddler!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 20-Apr-17 18:34:14

My slow cooker was/is a godsend as I also have an aversion to raw meat. I just chuck it in while looking away with my eyes closed add any other ingredients & away it goes. We've had 2 to 3 slow cooker meals a week since January. I'm another jacket spud fan too but I like them even when I'm not pregnant. Also risottos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now