Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shandy cravings!

(16 Posts)
2ducks2ducklings Wed 19-Apr-17 17:04:38

I'm suffering with the dreaded sickness. Some days are worse than others but the thing that links them all wonderfully together is that the thought of drinking anything makes me want to heave! This is obviously not great. I'm forcing my self to drink and eating a lot of tomatoes as these seem to help strangely.
However, there are two things I do like to drink. McDonald's strawberry milkshake, though I'm in France on holiday at the moment and they don't do milkshakes! The other is shandy! I'm using the little 3% French beers and doing about 1/4 beer with lemonade. I also have just had one at a bar so I don't know the strength (though it was very cheap so I would assume it was quite weak). I'm not having hundreds a day. Maybe two or three small glasses.
How much of a shit mum am I being by drinking them?
Is the small amount of alcohol in each of these shandies likely to potentially cause problems?
As a side note, how much longer can this sickness last? I mean, really??

Fizzball Wed 19-Apr-17 17:20:00

I've been craving beer my entire pregnancy so I've been drinking the Fentiman's Lemon Shandy. Less than 0.5% and really nice. I also like Birra Moretti 0.05% & Brewdogs Nanny State.

GastonsWife Wed 19-Apr-17 17:22:25

Enjoy your drink! Getting dehydrated would make you feel far worse and not be good for baby.

HKittyCat Wed 19-Apr-17 17:39:51

What you do in your pregnancy is your business and no one should judge you for it. I doubt that tiny amount will be doing any harm, 25% of 3% is virtually nothing, but if you're worried why not try an alcohol free beer like becks blue and mix that with lemonade?

grounddown Wed 19-Apr-17 17:45:05

I craved red wine during my 2nd pregnancy. That was a hard one to overcome, in the end I had to have a small glass here and there but it was like heaven when I had it.

MagnumAddict Wed 19-Apr-17 17:48:27

Another one suggesting becks blue as an alternative? I know it's small amounts but the worry on top of sickness might not be worth it?

Also sorry to hear you are sick. I'm 21 weeks and still suffering with hyperemesis- there are quite a few of us posting on the hyperemesis support thread so do pop in if you need to chat. Even if you don't have full blown HG sickness can be pretty miserable so you would get a sympathetic ear!

Scroobius Wed 19-Apr-17 18:13:25

Do any of these alcohol free lagers actually taste like lager? I'm desperately trying to find a non alcoholic drink that isn't sweet/water!

Brugmansia Wed 19-Apr-17 18:20:27

It's worth trying a few of the different non alcoholic beers. There's quite a lot of choice now and they don't tend to be sweet.

I've been experimenting with non alcoholic white wine. Most are either too sweet or lacking in flavour. Tesco have started doing a range called Rawsons Retreat. Their sparkling one is pretty good.

Gunpowder Wed 19-Apr-17 18:32:13

I craved shandy when pregnant with DD1 and had horrific morning sickness as well. Apparently beer has vitamin B6 in and if you have severe morning sickness you are likely to be deficient in B6. So possibly that's the reason behind the craving! So weird.

kikibo Wed 19-Apr-17 18:53:39

Well, I would look for an alternative in order not to get too much alcohol (every day seems a bit steep, to be honest), but in the meantime, if that's the only thing you can keep down, then I'd say go for it. Dehydration is worse than a little alcohol IMO.

Lemonade on its own is no good?

I suffered quite badly from 6 weeks until I finally went to my gynaecologist (I'm not in the UK) at 10+5. I mean, in the mornings I'd wait for the purge so I could eat my breakfast orange and then I'd just lie down, watch TV and eat small amounts maybe three times in an afternoon.
Coke was somewhat of a lifesaver because it induced burping which was a relief and my stomach coped better with it than with still water. By 10 weeks the sickness had eased somewhat, but I couldn't eat a lot in one go or have too long between meals. If dinner took too long, I'd be hugging the toilet bowl.

Now I'm 22+2 and things have improved. Though I think I'm now starting to get the legendary heartburn. sad

ohfourfoxache Wed 19-Apr-17 18:58:36

Another shandy craver here too, and another one who goes for becks blue!

Sickness lasted for the last 34 weeks of my first pregnancy. I'm now 28 weeks with ds2 and it's still there hmm

Starlight2345 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:02:57

I craved Cider when I was pregnant..I had a big apple craving generally.
I found the cider Ice lollies of the ice cream van ..So spent half the time looking for ice cream vans that sold them

Lemondrop09 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:28:21

My DH swears that the Bavaria alcohol free beer is the best tasting. We get it in Tesco. It's so cheap too!

I had a Strawberry and Lime alcohol free Koppleberg on a sunny day at the weekend. That was damn tasty!

GuinefortGrey Wed 19-Apr-17 21:10:03

You need Le Panache de Saint Omer! It's a French shandy at less than 0.5%. You should be able to find it in the supermarket there - we first had it in France but can now get it in our local Morrisons too.

2ducks2ducklings Wed 19-Apr-17 22:20:32

I've just bought some panache from the supermarket. We're away with my parents at the moment and they don't know yet so buying alcohol free beer (when I usually hate beer) may be a hint too far. I've managed to hide the sickness (mostly) so far, blaming one time on eating croissants too fast and giving my husband a signal that he needs to distract them so I can run to the loo.
When I get home, I'll definitely buy the alcohol free beer, or the cans of shandy which you can buy from supermarkets should be ok too right? I'm thinking that I should be ok to take a can of pop into the school I work, but taking a bottle of beer (even non alcoholic) may raise a few eyebrows!

2ducks2ducklings Wed 19-Apr-17 22:24:22

Coke is ok, but I'm trying to watch my caffeine intake since that's something that should also be cut right down apparently. I buy the caffeine free stuff at home, but you don't seem to be able to buy that in a pub for example.
Lemonade on its own I can do in very small quantities. I don't know why but it seems to just burble away in my stomach on it's own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now