Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How can I get my voice heard??

(7 Posts)
Mamabearriri Wed 19-Apr-17 13:41:11

I'm exhausted, I'm itching all over for no reason to the point that now my skin is beginning to blister from scratching so much, I can't keep any food or drink down at all and I've lost 5lbs this week because of it. The doctors won't give me anything to help the itching or the sickness and she actually sat there and told me to "suck it up". All they do is sit there and judge me for my mental health and bring it into everything. How does my BPD make me itchy? How does it make me sick? It's getting to the point I'm so exhausted I'm barely leaving my room in fear of fainting because I'm so light headed. I'm so worried because it's only week seven and I cant imagine the effects this could have on the baby if this keeps going on. So angry and fed up. My mood is so low right now because I've already been though so much with this pregnancy (they told me I'd likely lost my baby because they couldn't see it on a scan) (had to put a camera in my tummy) etc. What can I do to get my voice heard?

GastonsWife Wed 19-Apr-17 13:45:13

Have you spoken to your midwife? I'm sure itching is linked to something to do with kidneys? I could be completely wrong though!

GastonsWife Wed 19-Apr-17 13:50:02

This is what I was talking about OP
Itching during pregnancy. Mild itching is common in pregnancy because of the increased blood supply to the skin. ... Mild itching is usually nothing to worry about, but if the itching becomes severe it can be a sign of a liver condition called 'obstetric cholestasis', or 'intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy' (ICP).

Lemondrop09 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:04:55

I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't know what the itching is but the sicknesss sounds like you might have Hyperemesis Gravidarum. You do NOT need to just "suck it up". There's is medication you can have, and probably need. Otherwise you risk getting very dehydrated.

Have a look here
www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk

Is thereq different doctor you can see? If they won't treat you, insist on being referred to a HG friendly consultant at your local hospital (the Pregnancy Sickness Support helpline can give you a name of a local consultant)

Hollyhop17 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:07:09

I sympathise OP. I suffer from urticaria (which pregnancy has made a million times worse) and funnily enough BPD. I take promethazine which is primarily for my HG but as an anti hystermine and it has helped a bit with the itching. Can you ask your GP to prescribe? I am 27 weeks it is safe to take in pregnancy.

Sorry your mental health is proving a barrier, which part of the country are you in if you dont mind me asking? I have just been referred to a perinatal service, which has been excellent so far. I'm in South London.

Good luck, I know how hard it is.

Tilly2017 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:15:55

The professionals seem to like to but barriers up. I had a bought of mental health illness about 7 years ago which i had treatment for and no relapses and yet that is all they talk about and my weight as admittly i am heavier than id like to be but not by much. Every issue is linked back to these two factors. I actually went to my local A&E and got the best advice and support ever from them and they took tgeir time to explain everything in detail which helped and referred me on to EPU for follow ups when i was 6 weels.... now 19 and all healthy!

titihood Tue 25-Apr-17 13:46:40

Very sorry to hear that you are going through this. Your GP should listen to you and not put it down to mental health issues, that is very unprofessional. Itchiness can be a sign of low thyroid (can cause very dry skin), or a liver problem that can happen during pregnancy. Hormones go all mental, especially in early stages of pregnancy, and that could be causing dry skin.

If you're finding it hard to eat with the sickness see if you can manage soups (there are several with quite a bit of protein), try to drink lots and rest as much as possible. Sickness can contribute to fainting feeling, also blood pressure changes with pregnancy which makes a wonderful cocktail of feeling somewhat shit for some women!

I would talk to the practice manager at the GP surgery and see if you can see another Dr. Do you have a midwife yet? If so, talk to them about it - if not I think you may be able to self-refer to them.

I'd also suggest ringing your local early pregnancy unit (EPU) to explain the problem - they will be able to give advice and help with testing or anything. If they mention going to GP then tell them that you were brushed off by them.

Last thing I would say is to get yourself some Epiderm. It is a really mild emollient that is great for newborns and eczema-prone skin, so is fine for use in pregnancy. You can wash with it, use it as a cleanser, and as a cream, so is really useful.

It is very wrong that the Dr is not listening to your concerns. I hope you can get some help from midwife/another GP soon, and start to feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now