We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping on Left

(16 Posts)
confusedat23 Wed 19-Apr-17 06:09:46

Hey ladies!

Just after a bit of advice! i'm 13 weeks and getting really paranoid that i just cannot sleep on my left hand side. I am so much more comfortable on my right. My last hope is to switch sides of the bed with DH so he can't breathe in my face which honestly is probably a big factor to the no left hand sleeping thing.

But does anyone know when you have to start sleeping on the left and any good tricks to try and stay there? I need to get a mat pillow as shoulders starting to hurt etc so if there is a special one that helps with sides of sleeping that would be great too!

Thanks! ❤

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 19-Apr-17 06:14:50

You don't have to at all - it's been disproved now. Getting sleep at all is what's important!

Scrowy Wed 19-Apr-17 06:22:33

You don't have to sleep on your left side. Sleeping on your back is also ok unless you feel uncomfortable or faint or your toes start tingling.

I definitely recommend a big U shaped pillow though they make sleeping actually doable as you get bigger. They are pretty much all the same so just go for one with good reviews on Amazon within your price range.

haveacupoftea Wed 19-Apr-17 06:24:08

I am also a right side sleeper. Baby is almost 34 weeks and fighting fit smile don't stress just sleep whichever way is comfy.

Sparklyuggs Wed 19-Apr-17 08:45:53

We swapped sides as I can't bear to be breathed on, so it's been easier but i sometimes wake up on the right. My doctor told me if it was compressing the Vena cava then I'd automatically shift and to enjoy the sleep.

krakentoast Wed 19-Apr-17 08:48:04

Many thousands of years of humans were born without their mothers worrying whether they slept on their left or their right. Just be comfy smile

RNBrie Wed 19-Apr-17 08:50:23

This was always such bullshit advice. It is more important that you sleep than that you force yourself into a position that's uncomfortable and don't sleep. I didn't know the science had been disproved (hurrah) but it was always bad advice. As if all the millions of babies born before the science somehow were lucky escapes.

jobrum Wed 19-Apr-17 08:55:29

Yep, sleep however feels best. Thanks to a very lumpy matress I was able to sleep on my front until about 26 weeks as the bump fitted into a dip! At 40 weeks now have a new flat matress and sleep on either side or my back. Bought just a regular cheap pillow and sleep curled around that.

Enjoy the sleep!

Spam88 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:00:10

I'm 35 weeks and tend to switch sides several times during the night because my hip/ribs start hurting. Sometimes I just sleep on my back as well as its far kinder on my pelvis, but I do find I need an extra pillow to prop me up a bit otherwise I struggle to breathe a little with the weight of the bump. So really, don't worry too much! Getting some sleep is the most important thing.

If you are concerned though, I think it's 28 weeks they advise not to lay on your back from. And my understanding then was just that there's a slight preference for left over right, but the most important thing was not to be on your back.

mammytoonebabyboy Wed 19-Apr-17 11:06:20

I'm 38 weeks and have slept solely on my left for the whole 9 months. I hate not sleeping on my right, but because of what I've read and been told I'm far too scared to sleep on my right. It's rubbish though, it was never proved and it's been proven to be complete rubbish anyway. I only do it because once you get something bad in your head, you don't get out no matter how much good things there are. Everyone I know sleeps on their left and their right, my sister sleeps on her stomach and she's 6 months. Honestly, just sleep on your right if that's what is most comfortable although I would say don't sleep on your back because that isn't good, won't do any harm but will give you a headache and make you feel a bit dizzy x

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:13:32

I remember researching this when the study came out and I was pregnant with my second.

An NHS study concluded in 2011 that not sleeping on the right had a increased risk of stillbirth.

Although there are many factors involved that it's hard to have a fully accurate result of this, so I wouldn't worry too much. Especially at 13 weeks. The weight of the baby will have no impact on the blood flow to baby if you sleep on back or right at this stage.

The study is here if anyone wants to look www.nhs.uk/news/2011/06June/Pages/mothers-sleeping-position-and-risk-of-stillbirth.aspx

I do sleep on my left as it happens (even when not pregnant)

NotAnotherUserName5 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:14:18

Not sleeping on the left, not right!!

numberseven Wed 19-Apr-17 13:22:13

I really recommend a huge U-shaped pregnancy pillow, it has made my nights much more comfortable. Anyway, I try to sleep on my left but often wake up on my right.

confusedat23 Fri 21-Apr-17 11:28:44

Hey ladies thank you all so much for your help!

I am sleeping a lot better now I am not worrying about sleeping on my left!

I will be investing in a good U shaped pillow soon though!

Xxx

IckleWicklePumperNickle Fri 21-Apr-17 12:24:27

With both pregnancies I mostly slept on my right and back.

confusedat23 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:00:16

I think i will be the same Ickle and its reassuring to know that if there was a problem i would wake up anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now