Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti-blood clot injections

(19 Posts)
Marzipanmodelling Tue 18-Apr-17 22:45:50

I was told today at the local maternity unit that because I'm over 35 and this is my third child I will need an anti-blood clotting injection daily for 10days. Has anyone else heard of this/been through it? Can I refuse it if I want to? Does it affect the baby? (I'm planning to breast feed) the midwife said she'd give me the stuff to self inject at home but I'm absolutely rubbish with needles and my husband is even worse so am dreading dealing with that as well as the usual after birth stuff, a newborn and two other children.
Any advice/tips/experience gratefully received!

didireallysaythat Tue 18-Apr-17 22:55:06

Where i live we had a choice of maternity hospitals, one in Cambridgeshire, one in Suffolk. You see the same community wives but when she visited if you gave birth in Cambridgeshire you got the injections, but if you gave birth in Suffolk you got compression socks instead.

My point is that I'm not sure it makes a big difference, it may just be good practise, so if you discuss with your community midwives you may be able to find an alternative to the shots.

teainbed Tue 18-Apr-17 22:58:43

I've just had DC4 and was discharged on injections. It was a surprise to me that I needed them but scored for high parity, age and also had an epidural. The evidence base is pretty clear but no treatment is compulsory obviously. The injecting is fine, pretty painfree actually and no bruising, DS is breastfeeding really well.

Mermaid36 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:00:36

I had to have 6 weeks of the injections - I was expressing due to babies in NICU, but it didn't impact my milk supply.
I just had to grit my teeth and do them

JaniceBattersby Tue 18-Apr-17 23:02:54

I had to have them. They don't affect the baby.

I am also not great with needles and the midwife showed me, very briefly, while I was busy feeding my three-hour-old newborn, how to inject myself.

I felt massively nervous doing it and it really hurt so I didn't bother after three days. It wasn't like I was lying in bed all day. I was up doing the school run etc so I figured, in my hugely unmedical opinion, that I wasn't likely to get a blood clot. I still have them in my cupboard and I guess I should probably get rid but not sure how. I suppose the pharmacy might take them.

notangelinajolie Tue 18-Apr-17 23:03:14

Is this a thing now? If it is I think it a good thing. At 37 I had a life changing DVT when DD3 was 4 weeks old and would say after my experience take the injections.

MelinaMercury Tue 18-Apr-17 23:12:12

I had to take these after my second section in 2013.

The needles are tiny so you barely feel them although the liquid was a bit stingy for a second, i was shown how to do it in hospital a few times so you won't just be sent off with them with no guidance. Mine were on alternate thighs and i found it easiest just to throw it in like a dart so it's over and done with in 5 seconds before heading off to bed grin

They come in individual packs so it's literally just open, stab and plunge then chuck in the sharps bin they provide you with.

It doesn't affect the baby in any way, i breastfed until 16 months with no issues.

Marzipanmodelling Thu 20-Apr-17 07:37:51

Thank you for your replies. Good to hear that you've been ok with the injections. I'm very active-e.g. cycling/walking and with two little ones already I know I won't get much sitting down time so just wondered if that might help because I like to do things more naturally and don't want to do something unless it's really needed. I'll check with my community midwife in a couple of weeks.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 20-Apr-17 07:41:52

It's research based that women who meet certain risk criteria do need them regardless of their activity levels. Like a PP said the needles are fine and short. Not worth risking a potentially fatal blood clot.

Chavelita Thu 20-Apr-17 08:07:19

I had my son by ELCS at 40, 5 years ago, and DH injected me daily in the thigh after we came home from hospital. It was fine.

Italwaysworksitselfout Thu 20-Apr-17 09:46:58

Yep just got out of hospital after suspected clot on the lung. Clexane jags are the norm now. I'll get them again when I've had my section and have to take them at home. They don't give you the lovely sexy DVT socks anymore though wink The injections don't hurt at all

Marzipanmodelling Thu 20-Apr-17 20:37:19

Thank you for more feedback, it's given me some reassurance of what the injections are about. My DH is absolutely crap with needles and will faint at the sight of one so it'll be up to me to sort it out, which should be fine for 10 days. I might have to get myself some sexy DVT socks too!

Grumpbum Thu 20-Apr-17 20:41:05

The injections are far superior for outcomes over stockings, if you meet the criteria then the evidence is fairly strong. Definitely discuss with your midwife hopefully she'll be able to put your mind at rest

AveEldon Thu 20-Apr-17 20:43:24

I found them pretty awful but obviously a blood clot would be worse
I was "offered" them from 28 weeks pg but I declined them at that stage and instead did 5 weeks post delivery. It should have been 6 weeks but I had enough of the pain and the bruising was getting progressively worse

TwinkleStars15 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:18:36

I've been on them for my whole pregnancy - they do get better! I had a massive needle phobia before getting a DVT but that's well and truly over, not by choice ha. The bruising and lumps don't stop though....

Courtneybrown Fri 21-Apr-17 22:09:15

Oh god yes I remember them my partner had to do it daily my leg looked a mess haha but not painful and can't go wrong with them xx

AltCarbon Fri 21-Apr-17 22:28:19

Please take them if they've been recommended. I was totally fit and very active but I had to have them twice a day from 10 weeks pregnant (until 6 weeks after) with my second child as I'd developed 3 large clots in my leg with no risk factors other than pregnancy. I was rushed to A&E with a suspected pulmonary embolism (thankfully not) but couldn't walk properly for months and couldn't drive either. Like others have said the needles aren't that bad, the bruising fades quickly once you've finished the course and it had no impact on breastfeeding.

Couple of tips: pinch the squishiest bit of your tummy skin really tight and put the needle in straight (not diagonal). Also change sides/position of the injection each time. I found this helped make it less painful and reduced bruising.

Oh and sometimes it may leave a slight bump under the surface of your skin which will go away with time and I was assured was harmless. It freaked me out the first time though as no one had mentioned it.

Hope that's helpful and not alarming.

Funnyonion17 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:30:57

I'm 30 with normal bmi and having them.

Marzipanmodelling Sat 22-Apr-17 22:41:13

Thank you for the tips AltCarbon and thank you for the replies. I am going to go ahead with them because I've decided I wouldn't want to risk a blood clot for the sake of a few days discomfort. Thank you for the feedback

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now