Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pineapple to induce labour??

(11 Posts)
southofgin Tue 18-Apr-17 14:28:14

I'm overdue, cranky and sore and I'm so ready for baby to be born! I've heard about the pineapple thing but I always thought it was a myth. But when I was 24 weeks i actually had to stop eating it as it would give me horrible abdominal cramps every time shock ( I was really disappointed as I LOVE pineapple and it was the only thing that made my heartburn go away).

That made me thing that there must be some science in it. I researched a bit and apparently you'd have to eat about 5 to ingest enough of the chemical to do anything and it's mostly in the core (I hate eating this bit. It makes my mouth raw).

Has anyone actually had any success with pineapple? Is there any ideas on how to eat 5 pineapples with the core without having the actually eat it? I was thinking maybe a smoothie or juice? smile

ToughItOut Tue 18-Apr-17 14:36:18

I ate 1 fresh pineapple , not the core though! Then had a hot curry a few hours later and went into labour that evening . I was 3 days overdue so might have been coincidence! Worth a try though! Good luck!

DinosaurFanGirl Tue 18-Apr-17 14:43:34

Both my mum and MIL swear by eating a crazy amount of fruit to induce labour. My mum ate 2 bags of oranges and my MIL ate all the fruit they had in the house for both of theirs. Although their experiences weren't specifically with pineapple it does make you wonder if fruit can help. I think it's like how castor oil and hot curries are suggested as they start bowel movements off and eating a lot of fruit would do the same. Some say how bowel movements can trigger contractions.... worth a shot I guess!

DinosaurFanGirl Tue 18-Apr-17 14:45:06

Oh and you could make yourself some non-alcoholic pina colodas and pretend your on holiday with all that pineapple! Good luck x

TeaAndPjs Tue 18-Apr-17 18:38:44

My friend done the pineapple tho g and when it didn't work she read up on it more and for it to properly work you'd need to eat 7 pineapples including core in 10mins so a bit unrealistic but eating it in general can give you a little push if you're ready to go

pardrej Wed 19-Apr-17 20:46:36

Worth a go.. I would whack them in a blender

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Wed 19-Apr-17 20:54:03

I ate a whole pineapple at ten days overdue. All I achieved was to make my mouth very sore.

TeddyIsaHe Wed 19-Apr-17 21:05:17

Sex set me off, had a show the morning after doing the deed, did it again that evening and my contractions started an hour later. Was in labour for 48 hours, but still! I tried pineapples, curry and going up and down the stairs sideways and not a twinge. My partner thought he was magical after that!

southofgin Sat 22-Apr-17 19:44:00

Still no baby and it looks like I'll be getting induced confused I ate lots of pineapple that evening and it did nothing but I had a horrible trip to the bathroom!! blush

Thanks for everyone's replies!!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 22-Apr-17 19:54:39

The theory is that the upset tummy from pineapple or curry can set things off. My midwife friend doesn't recommend it though - a few cases of diarrhoea in the birth pool!

SpwJd Sat 22-Apr-17 20:21:16

I drank raspberry leaf tea and I swear that made things happen.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now