Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Good Pregnancy Books

(10 Posts)
FlowerPowerBecky Tue 18-Apr-17 11:25:55

Hello all smile

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas of pregnancy/new baby books that is worth to invest in? I'm new to all this so would like to do some reading up 😂

Thank you xx

leighdinglady Tue 18-Apr-17 11:34:07

The day-by-day pregnancy book. It's brilliant

Brugmansia Tue 18-Apr-17 13:33:19

What type of information are you looking for?

I'm currently reading Expecting Better by Emily Oster. It is intended to provide guidance on how to navigate the various issues you face such as what to eat and drink, what tests to have etc. and make the best decisions for you. She actually looks at the various studies and has lots of information. It may not be the sort of book you're looking for but it is brilliant.

arbrighton Tue 18-Apr-17 14:20:02

I will second Expecting Better if you actually want the reasoning behind some of the guidelines. It made me feel a lot more confident in myself and how to keep me and bean healthy

But if you want to know about baby development or a newborn's care, not the right one.

qate Wed 19-Apr-17 08:01:53

I second the Day by Day pregnancy book - absolutely love it (so much so that I'll probably order the Day by Day baby book). I didn't enjoy the What to Expect books - found them hardgoing, too US focused, and

Expecting Better was interesting as well, and I found What to Eat When You're Pregnant (Rana Conway) quite useful in the early stages when trying to work out what was safe/not (the info is available online as well, but it was tortuous navigating through lots of websites/forums to get definitive advice- the WtEWYP book was more comprehensive than the NHS section, although I know the advice changes constantly).

WantingBaby1 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:09:49

The expecting better book is great.

pardrej Wed 19-Apr-17 22:14:21

My mum got me 'how to have a baby (and push it out)' which is great - Clemmie someone, the midwife on radio 4. I've also read the orgasmic birth which is v woo and I loved.

pennysays Thu 20-Apr-17 15:57:04

I got DP the 'dummies guide to... Dads guide to pregnancy' and it's brilliant apart from being a bit American. It's all the factual info you need to know, short and easy to understand. My DP didn't read it though!!

FlowerPowerBecky Thu 20-Apr-17 16:43:12

Thank you everyone smile think I have some ordering to do! 😂👍🏻 xx

Moo31 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:53:38

I second the to What To Eat When You're Pregnant (Rana Conway) - I got it 2nd hand off Amazon and it has been a great reference guide.

OH also bought the What To Expect When You Are Expecting and I have also found it very useful. It goes week by week so I am reading as I go.

He also bought "The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year" for a laugh but it actually looks like it might be my bible in 6 months time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now