Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking appt - maternity booklet

(14 Posts)
Jem2013scout Tue 18-Apr-17 08:28:00

Hi all,

Just wondering if you could answer a quick question for me! I have my booking appt tomorrow - 9 weeks.

I was just wondering, I don't have to fill in the booklet do I? Do myself and MW go through it together? The receptionist never said anything when she handed it over, so I just assumed it was for the MW to fill out at booking appt?

Also DP won't be at work so he is coming, that's ok isn't it? I mean there's family questions about him in there too so would make it a lot easier smile

TIA x

SucklingDuckling Tue 18-Apr-17 08:35:49

I didn't even get given one at my appointment back in October, I think i was supposed to but the receptionist forgot. The MW just did everything when I arrived smile

polarbearshuffle Tue 18-Apr-17 08:37:26

Congratulations!

DH came with me to both of my booking appointments. The midwife asked him about any health issues on his side of the family that I wouldn't have been able to answer so it was a good job!

I didn't receive any booklets before hand. The midwife filled in the baby notes at the appointment.

Hi.

I had my booking appointment last week and brought DH with me. The midwife was absolutely fine with that.

I didn't get my official note booklet in advance, but I did get a 14 page questionnaire which I had to fill out before the appointment. We then spent the appointment with the midwife querying my responses and basically just writing them in to the official notes.

I don't think it would have made any difference if I hadn't filled it out!

welshweasel Tue 18-Apr-17 08:42:43

If you take your DP (and honestly, I'd save him the hour of boredom) be prepared for the fact that the midwife is likely to want him to leave for at least some of the appointment so they can ask you about domestic violence.

PlaymobilPirate Tue 18-Apr-17 08:44:24

If you've got it then I'd fill in what you can - names, addresses etc. It'll save loads of time!

Lemondrop09 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:20:23

I didn't have to fill out anything in advance, but then I wasn't given anything. My midwife did it all on the computer.

I took my DH because I'd heard they'd want to ask him about his family history. She did, for about 2 mins. The rest of it he sat there bored silly! You'll be fine without your DP, just check if there's any health issues on his side likely to come up, so you can answer those questions. If you have a booklet, I assume the questions are in there?

arbrighton Tue 18-Apr-17 09:50:08

I wasn't given anything in advance - just rang up and booked for booking in.

Filled everything out on computer and was given the ridiculous large, hand held notes folder. Which then goes to every appt and once you get into third trimester, is supposed to pretty much just go everywhere with you

Jem2013scout Tue 18-Apr-17 10:36:07

Thanks all!! grin

DP really wants to come - so I will mention today it's likely to be very boring and give him the option.

Will go through it when I get home and fill out anything obvious!

arbrighton Tue 18-Apr-17 13:04:49

Even if he does come, he will be asked to leave the room for at least part of it as midwives are obliged to check there is no DV/ pressure to continue with pregnancy etc

Wouldn't bother dragging my DH to any of my midwife stuff. He's driving me for the anti-D this week in case i'm sore, has been to the standard scans and need to see if he can make either of the last two growth scans, was odd being the only woman alone at first clinic for that and took my mum last time (so at least she's seen baby on scan)

I didn't even know anyone took their DH to midwife appts til I had read it here. But, he's quite a private/ not very social person and he'd have found the appt uncomfortable anyway. And he and I know enough of each other's family background to know about the medical history on both sides etc.

Jem2013scout Tue 18-Apr-17 16:20:52

@arbrighton I'm not dragging him anywhere... he wants to come who am I to tell him not to it's his baby too. He can come wherever he wants.

smile

Equally he won't be offended to be asked to leave the room.

@arbrighton, my DH wasn't asked to leave the room. I guess they'll save those questions for another appointment if they need to ask them.

@Jem2013scout, my midwife said nearly all of the fathers come to the first appointment for the first child in her experience, so it's definitely not strange! Your midwife won't think twice if he's there smile

Lemondrop09 Tue 18-Apr-17 17:38:05

My DH wasn't asked to leave the room either, nor was I asked about domestic violence.

Jem2013scout Tue 18-Apr-17 19:04:24

@NiceCuppaTeaAndASitDown thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now