Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eco-friendly Nappies

(7 Posts)
gigi556 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:28:44

Can anyone recommend an eco-friendly nappy brand?

I'm planning to use cloth nappies, but want to have disposables available for the meconium poos at the beginning and will also use disposables from time to time anyway.

The only ones I've seen are the Naty brand and they don't seem to have good reviews. Bad fit and lots of leakage with newborns.

My main concern is chlorine and other chemicals in the nappies rather than biodegradable-ness.

Thank you!

gigi556 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:43:35

I'd also be interested in suggestions for eco-friendly wipes!

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 17-Apr-17 23:49:21

We've used Naty for our two children and have found them to be fine. No massive issues with leaking, it's happened a few times with a massive poo explosion that I think most nappies would have struggled to contain!

DaddaGreen Mon 17-Apr-17 23:49:59

We used Naty Nature Babycare disposables. I'm afraid I can't remember quite as far back as newborn but they proved good in later stages when we were away & unable to use cloth nappies. No problems with rashes although they were slightly less absorbent than conventional pampers.

I've always regarded the biodegradable ones as a bit of a red herring as landfill sites are anaerobic & degradation is extremely slow. However a friend did compost one as an experiment & in aerobic conditions they do degrade.

You can get washable wipes as well as nappies.

gigi556 Tue 18-Apr-17 06:42:35

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. The Naty ones seem to be the most widely available anyway. Guess I won't know unless we try!

My aunt has made me some reusable flannel wipes so I think I'm covered there just wanted some disposable ones too for back up. My partner is reluctant on cloth, but I'm not really giving him a choice!

Agree about them not biodegrating in landfills. Total red herring.

I read that you can get reusable breast pads. Any suggestions there? I'm planning to breastfeed. Do I need those?

blamethecat Tue 18-Apr-17 06:53:32

Naty are good we used them a fair bit. Also try looking at the beaming baby website. They do several brands including wipes and various other eco products. Quick delivery too. (I don't work for them !)

basilflower Tue 18-Apr-17 06:57:41

I've used little lamb bamboo breast pads and find them good. I have two packs, one small one large, find myself using the large ones more as they slip about a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now