Travel system?
Fold up small for the car?
Budget?
Offroad?
How many kids?

user1492456808 Mon 17-Apr-17 20:55:10

First baby so I have no idea currently looking at Egg or Icandy

westeringhome Mon 17-Apr-17 22:37:48

If you're not sure where to start, it can be helpful to go to a shop with display models (john Lewis, mothercare, etc) so you can try some out and get a feel for what features are available, what you like and dislike, and an idea of price range (or maybe looking for a second hand bargain). Then once you have a few ideas people can offer up their experiences and perhaps have suggestions you might not have come across. I do love my icandy one as it converted easily into a tandem, but it might be impractical for the next person. When is your baby due?

arbrighton Mon 17-Apr-17 22:54:33

FWIW, knowing that our travel system won't get used much for day to day since I have two dogs to walk on muddy riverside, so will have a sling/ carrier for bean, we went for a cheaper option that seems sturdy enough (and happened to come in my favourite colour but also black)
Mothercare own brand travel system. £300 all in, including car seat (not isofix but now we've figured out how the seat belt will attach, not a problem)

The 'carrycot' bit that is so often a bit of a waste converts into the main buggy.

Really easy to fold up and compact.

Our first baby too, but we were horrified at how much the trendy brands were, and knew it's more of a family day out at weekends purchase than the day to day for some people

Catlover1812 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:55:51

John Lewis do a free nursery consultation. You have to book it, but you don't have to buy anything. It's so helpful for everything baby related, including prams, and car seats. From our consultation we're going for the Silver Cross Pioneer

kel1493 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:42:50

For is it was easy. I knew I wanted a silver cross. I had a look on the website and then went into Mothercare and tried them all. We went for the pioneer as it was the one we both liked best.
But ultimately it depends what you're looking for and what you need. If you have a car or are likely to use public transport often you may prefer something lighter and smaller. Other people use a bigger pram at first, and when the baby is old enough get a small lightweight fold up buggy to keep in the car or to use on public transport.
We don't drive at all, so didn't have that problem. We needed a pram that was strong and durable. The carrycot come in very handy for us, especially for occasional sleeping when we stayed at my mums. The pushchair is lovely as well. Also we got the silver cross simplicity car seat, this was handy as it clipped onto the wheels of the pram. So if we knew we would be getting a cab, and when he had his travel cot at my mums so didn't need the carrycot to sleep in, we could out the car seat on the wheels to save having to have the pushchair as well. We didn't do this much, mostly as we had no need to. And often brought the carrycot, later pushchair and car seat anyway. But handy if you can't for any reason.
People say they get rid of their heavy travel systems when the baby gets older, but I'd never use a buggy instead. I love my silver cross and intend to keep it for baby number 2 in a few years time.
But it does depend on what you're looking for and what you need. But do try out a few different ones and see what you like best.

Notso Tue 18-Apr-17 09:57:17

It depends on your needs and budget. Make a list of 'wants' think about if you have to negotiate. Steps, cobbles, mud, public transport.
Will you want to fold the pram to fit in a boot, on a bus or store in your house or childcare setting?
Do you need onboard storage for shopping?
Are you or other regular pram pushers very tall or very short?

I'd keep the car seat a separate matter. You should buy the safest seat to fit the car/cars you'll be using rather than whatever one fits on/comes with your pram. A car seat on a pram should not be your baby's regular mode of transport.

Sunshinie Tue 18-Apr-17 17:51:02

We went to a direct2mum shop where we could try out lots of different ones. The lady there was really helpful. I really wanted a cosatto because I like the patterns but as soon as we looked at them, we realised that the handle didn't extend so no good for DH who is 6"3. We went for a mamas and papas ocarro, as I could fold it really easily, it was light and easy to move and had big wheels so good for dog walking. I practised lifting it up steps, swapping seats etc and found it really simple. They also had a good offer on the whole travel system with a good car seat which made the decision for us. The only problem is there is quite a long wait for it and baby is due in 7 weeks, however they have promised we can have a loan pram if it doesn't arrive in time. I think you definitely need to go and try some. I liked the oyster ones but realised I couldn't fold it down with my pregnant swollen fingers so would probably be no good if it was cold and they were numb too.

Catdogcat Tue 18-Apr-17 17:53:19

We have an egg, I love it. And it turns into a double.

But you do need to test drive them and try them in the boot of your car

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now