Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! I'm pregnant

(4 Posts)
portialovex Mon 17-Apr-17 18:41:07

Hi all - Just after advice because quite frankly don't really know where to begin. I am 24 and just found out I'm pregnant (17/04/17) after doing the deed with a 21 year old guy at work in the early hours on (01/04/17). It was a drunken night and he hasn't spoken to me since but he's a few years younger so I guess he still has some growing up to do.

I took the morning after pill the day after but obviously didn't work for me. Now I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to have a termination but I'm not going to lie it has entered my mind as my mind is going crazy thinking about it all.

What help is available out there to a first time single mum, has anyone felt alone or been in a similar situation? Just want to hear other perspectives really it might help. smile

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 17-Apr-17 18:51:36

I don't know much but there are benefits calculators online that will work out your entitlement to benefits/tax credits so you can see where you stand financially. Gingerbread is a charity for single parents, they might have some advice.

Fairy45 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:47:27

My health visitor was amazing when i became a single mum, 2 weeks after giving birth. She gave me extra visits but made it feel like she was just popping in for a brew. Although i always looked at what looked like normal families (although who knows whether someone is a step dad/mum, sister/bro or auntie these days when you see prams being pushed and people having fun together) with a streak of jealousy. But there were lots of perks. Me and the dad are back together now a year after we split, and the bond me and my child have is amazing!
I had a lot of family around me and my mum was absolutely amazing! Do you have anyone who can support you in that way? Take baby off your hands for an hour so you can catch a quick nap etc...
I do have a friend who fell pregnant in a similar situation to yours and they made a go of it abd are still together planning their second 3 years on. You dont know his reaction until you tell him, he may be supportive even if not at first.
In terms of benefits etc it depends on your income but i got child tax credits but the support socially and emotionally is more important than the money side. You will be surprised how cheap it is to bring up a baby especially if you use fb selling sites and nearly new sales to acquire your stuff. Nappies wipes and milk if youre using formula for the first 6 months really!
Being a single mum is hard work yes, but twice the work = twice the reward!
Speak to family if you can and close friends 😊

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 17-Apr-17 23:57:15

There's a section on here for single parents. Maybe repost there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now