Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BV HELP PLEASE!

(4 Posts)
Tch1 Mon 17-Apr-17 01:21:21

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has suffered the same...
I am 31 weeks pregnant and have been told I have BV. I have been given Flagyl (metronidazole) suppositories for the BV and told to use them for 10 days every evening. I am only on the second dosage but am finding them really uncomfortable making me sore and irritated to the point I can't sleep, I don't think I can do 8 more doses. I plan to go back and see the doctor however I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or even an alternative to discuss with the doctor? Or if anyone has had the same experience? I'm feeling really lost as I know BV can be particularly harmful during pregnancy.
Thank you in advance!

westeringhome Mon 17-Apr-17 07:02:47

Balance Activ or Canesbalance.
Both are great and say safe to use in pregnancy, but still run it past the doctor smile

DinosaurFanGirl Mon 17-Apr-17 07:44:06

Yeah go and talk to your gp asap, it shouldn't be causing you discomfort. But also don't worry too much about BV, the studies only suggest a possible linkage to complications but more research still needs to be done. Good luck OP x

Usernamefor5minutes Mon 17-Apr-17 08:00:57

Name change to reply to this - I had BV all through my second pregnancy and I worried too - my baby was fine.
I tried the Balance Activ gel and pessaries - they do work but they don't prevent it coming back days later and they're blinkin' expensive.
About 8 months after DS was born, after trying almost EVERY possible cure, I finally found something that worked - Healthspan Super20 probiotics. Only found this out because I snaffled a pack from my mum when I ran out of my (obviously inferior) ones.
I had been taking decent probiotics throughout pregnancy but these ones have bashed the BV and as long as I keep taking them, it doesn't come back. It's not cheap as chips but it is cheaper than Balance Activ etc and it is so nice to be free of the horrible symptoms.
I won't post a link in case I start to sound like an advert - I'm not affiliated with Healthspan in any way. I just am a bit (quietly) evangelical about it because I'd suffered with BV for so long and it was a huge relief to realise I wasn't going to be stuck with it forever.
I think they do Super 50 too which are even more friendly bugs.

Congratulations on your pregnancy OP - wishing you a smooth and safe delivery flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now