Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

US road trip when 22-24 weeks pregnant?

(15 Posts)
Sushinushi Sun 16-Apr-17 21:54:17

Hello, advice please! I found out I was pregnant after commiting to 2 week US road trip later in the year, when I'll be 22-24 weeks pregnant. We'll be on the road every day for around 5 hours, staying in a new place every night. I'm only 7 weeks pregnant at the moment so haven't had a scan or anything. I'm fairly used to travelling so was planning to go, but I've just had a moment of doubt after reading other threads. This will be my first baby. What do you all think?

arbrighton Sun 16-Apr-17 21:55:49

You might need to use the loo fairly frequently. There aren't always that many options for that between towns on US highways- are you ok with a roadside pee?

You also can't tell if you'll have any issues like PGP or SPD that make sitting for long periods uncomfortable

Sleepybunny Sun 16-Apr-17 21:57:41

Go for it! I found around 20-25 weeks was when I started getting uncomfortable travelling for long periods, but if you can break it up with a few touristy pit stops I'm sure it'd be fine.

SushiNushi Sun 16-Apr-17 22:04:03

arbrighton I'll happily wee anywhere, no problems there. Sleepybunny we can stop as often as i need too, thankfully! Thanks both!

Lemondrop09 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:16:30

Get good travel insurance if you go, and make sure you're adequately covered for pregnancy. You don't want to get stuck with American medical bills should you need any assistance!

RooMama Sun 16-Apr-17 22:35:29

I'd be less worried about the time in car and more worried about finding affordable travel insurance. If you go into early labour 23/24 weeker can be viable but the costs to keep that baby alive and well till its ready to travel home could cost you well over £1m. People have babymooned in the USA and ended up bankrupt. Do not go without travel insurance that covers your pregnancy.

SushiNushi Sun 16-Apr-17 22:41:24

Good advice RooMama. Insurance recommendations welcome if you have them (and from anyone else too).

YoullNeverWeeAlone Sun 16-Apr-17 22:46:19

I went to US when 21-23 weeks pg with dc1. Insurance was fine. I told them i was pg and they said fine, didn't raise premium or anything (annual multi trip policy). I did insist on getting it in writing though.

Can't remember who that was with, possibly with nationwide bank account.

SushiNushi Sun 16-Apr-17 22:59:38

Does anyone know if you have to get extra cover for premature birth? I think i read that somewhere...

SushiNushi Sun 16-Apr-17 23:20:35

Thanks youllneverweealone. Great name btw.

Sparklyuggs Mon 17-Apr-17 00:10:24

I've just done a week in the States at 24/25 weeks, I've found Americans to be really friendly and helpful with offering seats, doors etc. I'm insured with Staysure as I have a preexisting condition but they cover all maternity related issues and premature birth until 28 weeks.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Mon 17-Apr-17 08:16:18

I wouldnt. Buts thats because they still have the active zika virus over there. Its still reccomended that if your pregnant then npt to travel.

stuckinny Mon 17-Apr-17 11:45:24

The Zika virus isn't present in the whole US. It's mainly in the Miami-Dade area of Florida. If you're worried, the CDC has a map showing the different levels across the country.
I'm 10 weeks and heading to Orlando tomorrow. No problems as far as my Dr is concerned. I wouldn't risk Miami though.

SushiNushi Mon 17-Apr-17 12:01:24

Thanks pancakes and stuckinny, I'll be avoiding zika states altogether so no risk there.

Lightningflash Mon 17-Apr-17 15:37:55

My advice would be to Invest in some maternity/travel compression socks if you're doing lots of travelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now