Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

18 and worried about being pregnant, please help!!!

(12 Posts)
daisy1098 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:54:23

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has faced the same problem and what happened after. I was worried about being pregnant so finally decided to do a test, I bought the box of 2 clear blue tests. I did both and got the same result, there's a clear horizontal line obviously but there's a very very faint vertical line, you really have to look for it but there is definitely something there! I've also been experiencing several symptoms but have no idea if they're actually pregnancy symptoms or just me being paranoid! I did bleed but it was very short and very light, which is the complete opposite of my usual AF. Any comments or similar experiences would be great! I will probably do another test in the week but I'm very worried!
Thank you!

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 17:57:32

The only thing you can do is wait a couple of days and test again. The blue line Clearblue tests aren't great as they are prone to evaporation lines (very faint lines even though the test is negative). Most of the supermarkets do an own brand 'early' test with pink lines so see if you can pick one of those up and test with it today or tomorrow. First wee of the day gives the most reliable result.

Good luck OP. Don't lose sleep over it until/unless you get a definite positive result.

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 17:58:23

Oops - I didn't mean test again 'today or tomorrow' I meant 'tomorrow or Tuesday'.

MSH2010 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:58:34

You're best to do the test first thing in the morning. I had a faint line on mine but boobs were getting sore by the day so did another, a few days later got the same faint line so ended up at the doctors and he didn't even have to wait the test went straight positive.

There's support out there. Try not to panic. Don't bottle it up, I did it doesn't help

BoredOnMatLeave Sun 16-Apr-17 18:01:24

When I first tested it was a faint line, pretty sure any line is positive but test again in a couple of days. Please try not to stress just take little steps from there flowers

daisy1098 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:08:09

Hi thanks for the response! Are evaporation lines completely irrelevant hCG detection? Thank you so much, I will definitely do another test asap!

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 18:10:24

An evaporation line would look grey (rather than having colour in it).

The other thing is that very faint lines can turn into chemical pregnancies quite easily (where you get a positive test but then miscarry very very early so you would never have known you were pregnant if you hadn't tested.)

In my experience, it's only worth thinking you might be pregnant if you get a relatively strong line that is an obvious positive. My tests with very faint lines have never resulted in a baby...

NotMyPenguin Sun 16-Apr-17 18:18:53

Maybe try another test that flashes up a clearer answer (e.g. some of the digital ones will say 'you're not pregnant', '1-2 weeks pregnant', '2-3 weeks pregnant' etc)?

Personally I don't think you would be getting evaporation lines on a test that give you the result in a cross shape (+) rather than the two vertical lines (II) if that makes sense. (If I've understood what you were saying?)

My own experience of faint lines has been that they have been positive tests.

How do you feel about the result, either way?

NotMyPenguin Sun 16-Apr-17 18:20:23

And I'm afraid that two out of three of my very faint lines have resulted in pregnancies (the third was a chemical pregnancy which ended about a week after my period was due, and I basically just had a heavy period).

So faint positive lines don't necessarily mean a pregnancy isn't viable.

daisy1098 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:36:53

Hi, I'm definitely going to do some more tests, are the digital ones meant to be more reliable? Yes I've used tests which give a plus or minus sign, at first I thought it was a minus but when I checked after the 2 minute wait there was a faint line on both which makes a plus. If I am, I really don't know how I feel about it, I have a boyfriend but I'm 18 and it's not very serious, it's still early on. I really have no clue what I would do, I'm just going to try not to stress about it until I get some clearer results! I will keep updated. Thank you for your responses!

OhTheRoses Sun 16-Apr-17 18:45:40

Oh darling I have an 18 year old daughter and we went through similar a few months ago. Even had a thread about it on a name change.

If you can't tell your mum you need to see your GP asap. Also get some support re contraception.

Is your boy friend supportive.

This must be so hard for you. It will be your choice and you are entitled for your decision to be confidential but you do need some support.

You sound very bright and sensible and I'd be proud of you if you were my daughter.

GP though. More choices the sooner you know for sure. Also if you are comin up to A'Levels you need to sort this one way or another sooner rather than later.

Good luck. Take care. cakestar

daisy1098 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:53:00

Thank you, that's really lovely of you! I'm not sure how my mum would react, I'm not that close to her so probably wouldn't be very comfortable saying anything especially when it's still unclear. My boyfriend is supportive yes and he would help in anyway he could, however he is in the army and I'm worried he won't be here if I am pregnant. I am in sixth form with my exams next month, I received an unconditional offer from the uni I really want to go through so although people have said to try not to worry it's very hard not to! I will wait until I have done a few more tests and if I get anything clearer I will post again and definitely go to my GP! Thank you again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now