Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

periods while pregnant?

(6 Posts)
user1490981241 Sat 15-Apr-17 19:55:09

Hi guys so im having a mixture of feelings. I have a 21 month old son and had a hell of a delivery with him (forceps yoooowch!) So i decided to have the marina copper coil put in as contraceptive DP of 5 years and i have never used condoms (im allergic to the lubricant on them and wasnt a big deal for us as i was always on an alternative. So anyway, ive been feeling pregnant and quite unwell for a while so went to the dr for blood test and got a letter that i needed to make an appointment so went yesterday to be told im expecting!! shock

Were happy and excited but really confused as i have the coil the dr checked and its still there correctly and ive had my usual period every month with no change.

Anyone else had this?

smerlin Sat 15-Apr-17 20:39:40

Not connected with coil but I bled for first three months due to haematoma by placenta so didn't realise I was pregnant for a while. Went for early scans etc as sometimes it was a lot and thought I was miscarrying once.

Twinnypops Sun 16-Apr-17 08:25:52

No method of contraception is 100% effective. Congratulations!

Lweji Sun 16-Apr-17 08:28:40

Bleeding can happen during pregnancy to the point that it can resemble a period for some people.

I had some bleeding, but I couldn't mistake it for my painful heavy periods.

Twinnypops Sun 16-Apr-17 10:16:41

Did you tell your gp about the bleeding? It's probably fine, but it should be investigated to be on the safe side.

user1490981241 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:27:02

I know it isnt 100% but you never expect to be in the .1% it fails for hmm unexpected but happily accepted! smile i told gp about it who had checked the coil was in place correctly etc incase i had lost it but hadnt so he removed it for me. Ive had what is my usual mid-flow 5 day period every 28 days so never thought much of it! But we have a scan tomorrow morning to check gestation and that baby has actually fertilised outside the tubes etc so will update with the result! Haha.

Im just worried that having the coil will of caused issues but gp said it was unlikely as its just a copper one not a hormonal so fingers crossed baby is healthy!

Will update tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now