Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Internal examinations and hypnotherapy

(5 Posts)
amalfish1 Sat 15-Apr-17 16:22:42

Hi everyone,
I am 31 weeks pregnant and twice I have had pains which I have gone to the hospital to have checked out. Both times they check the baby's movements/heart rate and check my urine for infection and they all come back fine. Both times the doctors suggest that its probably best they check my cervix is not opening too early and offer to check me internally with a speculum which I agree to. Unfortunately as soon as they start touching me 'down there' to clean the area I tense up, flinch or close my legs. Its completely a reflex and I cannot control it. I try to breath but I keep doing it until they give up and send me home.
It has really been upsetting me as with each time I am unable to go through with it I leave feeling worried that they don’t know if my cervix is open and very anxious about any internal exams I might need during labour. I am not sure what has brought about this sudden and paralyzing fear (the last time my whole body was shaking). I have had two smear tests in the past that, while not being that comfortable, were fine.
Someone suggested having a hypnotherapy session, has anyone tried this? I have done hypnobirthing and even with the breathing techniques I couldnt 'relax' last time.
Any advice would be very welcome.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 15-Apr-17 16:50:15

I/friends have had hypnotherapy with some success for nail biting/flying/general anxiety with some success. Definitely worth a try. My last hypnotherapist's wife, also a hypnotherapist, had a particular interest in birth.

SelfObsessionHoney Sat 15-Apr-17 16:52:07

I've had hypnotherapy, not for this issue but for generalised anxiety and it worked with moderate effect, not everyone get the best benefits from it. But it's worth a try.

Wolfiefan Sat 15-Apr-17 16:52:09

Clean the area? What country are you in? That sounds unusual!

amalfish1 Sat 15-Apr-17 17:00:41

I'm in London! My two experiences were in two different hopsitals. Both doctors start off by cleaning the area with cotton wool and warm water, I think its to minimise the risk of infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now