Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

period after miscarriage - heavy bleeding and clots

(11 Posts)
orange1231 Sat 15-Apr-17 13:25:33

I recently had a miscarriage on March 17th, although I was booked in for an appointment the following Tuesday to take treatment for a termination, this still came as a bit of a shock to me. I miscarried at exactly 5 weeks, I know this as I had a scan the day before at the BPAS clinic that confirmed everything was okay and I was 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant. The miscarriage started off with light blood and gradually carried on to get heavier and more painful throughout the day, later that night I rang 111 and they confirmed they think I was having a miscarriage and basically told me to just let it happen and go to my appointment the next week. The next day the pains were almost unbearable so I visited A&E where they gave me codeine which helped a lot. Although the pain was quite intense the bleeding was not what I expected a miscarriage to be like, I did not pass many clots so I was a bit worried something else was happening, however the night before my appointment with the BPAS clinic I passed a tiny clot which I expect was the "sack". The next day at my appointment they did a scan and confirmed I had miscarried, however although I had passed the sack it was "incomplete" and I would still bleed and pass clots for the next few days however the main part had gone, they also gave me a follow up appointment in 2 weeks time and a special termination pregnancy test (I think it was low sensitivity) to take before the appointment. The bleeding carried on for a few days but it wasn't as heavy as expected then stopped on the 25th of march when I assumed it was all over. On the 5th of April (around 2 weeks after the miscarriage) I had my final appointment at BPAS. Before going I took the special pregnancy test and at first I thought the result showed negative, however after a few minutes there was 2 lines (positive) with one very very faint, which had happened with every other test I had taken whilst pregnant so this worried me. However at the appointment they took a test and it came out negative (I worry this was wrong and they didnt wait long enough as mine took a few minutes to show positive) so they sent me home and everything was fine. 2 days ago on the 13th of april (27 days after the start of my miscarriage and 20 days since the end of it) I started what I thought was a period. I heard that it was meant to start within 4-6 weeks of a miscarriage but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway yesterday I experienced rather strong cramping and a lot of blood when I was going to the toilet so I got an emergency appointment with my doctor for that day. The doctor told me although it was early he thinks it's a period as if it was still part of the miscarriage I wouldn't of stopped bleeding in between, however he did ask if I had passed clots and I said no because at this point I hadn't. However later on that day and until now I have been passing large clots with some pain, the clots seem to only come when I go to the toilet and they are dark and sink to the bottom of the toilet (sorry for the detail), I would go as far to say the clots are worse than when I miscarried a few weeks ago, however the pain is not awful, just some cramps. I'm worried that I am passing the rest of the miscarriage as I feel like I didn't pass much more after they told me it was incomplete, and the clots seem a lot more noticeable now than they did previously. It's bank holiday weekend so I don't think I can get a doctors appointment and I'm not sure I need one? The pain isnt bad and I don't have to be anywhere in the next few days so I can handle it I just feel like I kind of want to know whats happening, however feel a bit stupid going back to the doctors as they told me they think it's a period. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I assume it may settle down now anyways as it has been quite heavy the past 2 days so I'm not sure there's anything the doctors could do at this point?

Im sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to fit in as much detail as possible. if anyone can help in anyway please do!!

thank you smile

FuckDietCoke Sat 15-Apr-17 13:35:43

I had this over the course of 6 weeks. I miscarried at 9 weeks and lost a large bit of pregnancy tissue, the bleeding subsided for a few days and then came back ridiculously heavy! I'd still had remains of conception in my uterus that were 'vascular' and causing a lot of bleeding. I was actually in Sainsbury's and blood starting pouring through my dress and onto the floor!!

I had to fight A&E, 111, EPU and my GP twice for them to give me another ultrasound! This was when they found remains of conception and I had to have two D&C procedures to clear it.

My last D&C was Monday and I'm much better. I hope you get sorted flowers

orange1231 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:08:36

thank you so much for taking the time to read my post, I know there was a lot there so didn't think anyone would reply! I'm really sorry to hear about your miscarriage but am glad you're feeling a lot better smile the thing that is worrying me is that it was incomplete and then nothing really came out until now, however I feel embarrassed going back to the doctors as they said it was a period, would you say the GP or A&E or a clinic would be best to go to? Where was it that finally gave you an ultrasound. I had a few appointments at BPAS as I was going to get treatment there but ended up miscarrying and they were lovely and supportive but unsure if they can help me any more as I didn't actually have any treatment.

thank you so much for your help!

FuckDietCoke Sat 15-Apr-17 15:20:35

If you're bleeding heavy I would call 111 and explain your bleeding is still heavy, they should then refer you to A&E if they think the bleeding is heavier than normal. They tried to say mine was a period despite me being on the combined pill!

If not, definitely make another appt with your GP and insist this isn't a period.

I'm in the East Midlands so I'm not sure if it differs from region to region but I went back to my GP who referred me for an emergency ultrasound which was at a NHS health clinic. They carried out the scan, I asked afterwards if everything was OK and they said actually no, you have remains of conception, we'll send the scan to your DR. Two days later I'd collapsed with blood loss and seen by A&E (again) and was taken to EPU where they carried out another scan. I was booked in the next day. This was dealt with by the hospital.

Keep pushing for answers if you think this isn't a period, I got fobbed off so many times and I actually needed help.

orange1231 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:26:29

that sounds so awful to go through, especially after going through so much, you think they'd help straight away sad the bleeding isn't extremely heavy and I'm still in 2 minds as it may just be a heavy period as it's my first one after the miscarriage, it's the clots that are worrying me. The idea of D&C terrifies me! was it that bad? should i be worrying about that at this point?

again thank you so much for your help it means a lot

passthewineplz Sat 15-Apr-17 15:33:23

If the clots are bigger than a 50p it could be retained products. Just to rule it out, I'd go and get checked out.

If you can, try and catch a clot so it can be checked.

Hope you're ok.

FuckDietCoke Sat 15-Apr-17 15:40:07

My clots varied in size, some were similar to yours where they came out and looked just like shadows in the toilet. Others were the size of my palm and the bleeding was medium flow, then I was actually bleeding through those huge hospital sanitary towels and losing massive clots. I have no experience about first period after a MC sorry, hopefully someone else can help with regards to what's normal for that?

I opted for the D&C the first time as I wanted it to be over and done with. I didn't want to wait to pass naturally. They didn't get everything out and by the time I had my second one it was just pure relief I had an answer and treatment. It seriously is nothing to worry about, your in and out of hospital in about six hours and I felt absolutely fine after! flowers

orange1231 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:49:39

thank you both for your help, i feel so much more reassured. Going to try the walk in centre at A&E tonight as I think doctors may be closed due to bank holiday weekend, hopefully they will take me more seriously this time smile

rainbowgirl2016 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:02:02

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I had one last May and I was 7 weeks. I remember having lots of clots but one really big one which they said was "everything". I'd get checked again just to make sure and put your mind at rest. Thinking of you. flowers xx

MsJuniper Sat 15-Apr-17 19:08:28

I always have a much heavier next period after a mc, but no large clots, just small ones and a lot of blood.

MsJuniper Sat 15-Apr-17 19:12:29

The clots sound more like a mc so I would guess retained products, kind of like a mmc but with a heavy bleed earlier. Sorry to ask but is there any chance it could have been twins?

I would consider trying to get an erpc. It is day surgery and at least you know it is all gone then so you are at less risk of infection.

flowers for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now