Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-eclampsia scare?

(10 Posts)
QuizTeamaAguilera Fri 14-Apr-17 22:01:15

I had DS at 40+4 in 2014, late onset pre-eclampsia which resulted in my BP rocketing, magnesium sulphate, and forceps delivery to get him out asap. Then PPH. Scary stuff, and as a result I'm consultant-led this time.

I'm now 38+2. This morning I had visual disturbances (flashing lights in my eyes) and BP was 140/93 on my home machine, after 130/70 with the midwife yesterday. Maternity assessment at the hospital monitored it for an hour (I insisted on going in although their official advice was to stay at home and wait and see), BP average was 135/mid-80s. Slight trace of protein in sample. Doctor and midwife not concerned.

Is it wrong I'm still worried? How has it increased so much since yesterday? It was lower again this evening but to me, going from 130/70 - 140/93 in a day is a big increase (although it has come down again this evening). Anyone had similar?

littleshoutymouse Fri 14-Apr-17 23:02:43

No, that would worry me too, and it would certainly worry my midwife!

I would say if you get any other symptoms, just keep going back to your local DAU. Eventually if there is something to worry about they will spot a pattern and realise something is up.

How are you on the swelling/headaches front?

Perhaps take a photo of your face, hands and feet so that you can compare them over the next day or two.

Argh, it's stressful isn't it, I feel like I've spent most of this pregnancy waiting for the PET to come back with a vengeance. The symptom spotting can drive you mad.

QuizTeamaAguilera Sat 15-Apr-17 06:30:36

Thanks little, I've been the same, having had something so seriously once before it's hard not to keep on worrying, especially as I'm so late on now! How many weeks are you?

I've had no headaches, or any other 'classic' symptoms apart from the one episode of stars in front of my eyes yesterday. I am a bit swollen but my own midwife wasn't concerned with that when I mentioned it, just said it was late in the pregnancy and that it's because it's been warmer. With DS I blew up like a water balloon from 28 weeks although nothing else happened until I was overdue, my PE was only picked up then when a midwife came to do a sweep and checked my sample and BP.

The HCA and midwife I initially saw yesterday were also not really happy with me using my own BP monitor, despite the fact it's a good one and I always use it correctly. My readings have been in line with the ones I've had done by the HCPs.

I guess all I can do it keep an eye on my BP at home and go back in with any worries...sad

Barefootcontessa84 Sat 15-Apr-17 07:56:50

BP can vary throughout the day quite dramatically, so I wouldn't be concerned by a "one off" reading (which was high, but not crazily so). I understand your anxiety as I had severe pre-eclampsia at 33 weeks with magnesium sulphate and EMCS. Definitely worth keeping an eye on - keep checking your BP - but I wouldn't be concerned by one reading only.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 15-Apr-17 08:12:21

Similar here, history of HELLP in 1st pregnancy. Now 38 weeks. Went into triage about 10 days ago after high bp readings at home and trace protein. Midwives very sulky about me testing at all. BP has come back down and I'm feeling fine.

My plan is to continue to test but try not to get too worked up about it.

user1481795553 Sat 15-Apr-17 08:24:06

I was in the same situation as barefoot. My would be to try to relax, the more you worry the higher your Bp will be. I know it's easier said than done but please try. Look at the situation realistically, your baby is term which means that the long term risks for you and baby are reduced and that's a great thing. But testing yourself all the time is just stressing yourself out and most likely raising your Bp.
If you are unsure go to the hospital

QuizTeamaAguilera Sat 15-Apr-17 08:56:38

Thank you all...I'm trying not to go too mad with the testing, latest reading this was 140/81 which I think is ok. I won't do it again today. And I feel generally very well, although I tire very easily if I spend too long on my feet! Baby is moving lots too.

It was the visual disturbance yesterday which worried me, it was very odd, never had anything like it before - I wouldn't have checked my BP if it wasn't for that.

haveacupoftea Sat 15-Apr-17 15:29:02

The midwives at my hospital were horribly rude to me about testing my own bp despite readings in the unit hitting 150/105! Sorry no advice for you but you're not alone on that front.

QuizTeamaAguilera Sat 15-Apr-17 17:14:03

It's frustrating isn't it havea....my machine is identical to one a GP has used on me in the past, but the HCA and then a midwife said several times they didn't recommend using them as they might not be calibrated properly. Even if they're not as accurate as the ones in the unit, they're surely better than waiting to have a nurse/midwife/GP take a reading next week, as your high reading shows!

MissisBee Sat 15-Apr-17 17:21:20

I've had problems with my BP too but no pre-eclampsia (yet). My understanding is 150/100 is their cut off for worrying but I would be in touch if I had other symptoms even if it was OK. I have a home monitor too, restricting myself to measuring once a day, too easy to get obsessive over it I've found.
Hi haveacupoftea ! Hope your BP is still behaving

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now