Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Contact with chicken pox

(4 Posts)
razzledazzel Fri 14-Apr-17 16:00:15

I'm currently 29+3 wks and have been in contact with 2 children who have then gone on to come out with chicken pox days later. Does anyone know if there are any risks? I have had chicken pox myself when I was a child so hoping I will be ok.
I have rung my midwife who said that in some cases it can cause problems and she advised to go to my gp for a blood test to check immunity which I have done. When I rung for my results the receptionist just said it came back as normal but she has no idea whether I'm immune and will get the dr to call me back. The surgery is now closed until Tuesday and I am still non the wiser.

HN42 Sun 16-Apr-17 12:32:06

It's fine if you have been infected by chicken pox as a child, you are immune for life from it (but you can get shingles as an adult as a result of having had chicken pox but again that would not harm you or baby during pregnancy). If you want to see something from the NHS in terms of official guidance this website should offer you the reassurance you need: www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2591.aspx?CategoryID=54

Lunalovepud Sun 16-Apr-17 12:54:15

DC1 had CP when I was 18 weeks PG with DC2. GP not remotely concerned about me as I had CP as a child and have immunity. I didn't even get sent for a blood test to check immunity!

Try not to worry about it - it sounds like your midwife was erring on the side of caution which is great of course, but doesn't mean you are at any risk of getting CP.

razzledazzel Sun 16-Apr-17 13:48:57

Thanks for the replies that was what I was hoping. The dr didn't seem overly concerned when I saw him and actually seemed surprised that I had even made an appointment. I never even thought about shingles. There seems to be a lot of chicken pox about at the minute so it's reassuring to hear that my baby should be ok. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now