Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Taking painkillers??

(10 Posts)
Babyblues14 Fri 14-Apr-17 15:38:23

Hi,
I promised myself I would try not to take any medication during my pregnancy. Currently 18 weeks.
This morning I slammed my hand in the car door. Thumb is black under the nail and very painful so Im going to have to take something. What is the strongest thing I can take?
Thanks

NinaMarieP Fri 14-Apr-17 15:39:40

I think paracetamol is the only thing you can take without consulting a doctor. Even a pharmacist would be unlikely to suggest anything else.

GreedyDuck Fri 14-Apr-17 17:39:53

Take some paracetamol for goodness sake!

arbrighton Fri 14-Apr-17 17:53:23

There are medications which are ok, please don't be a martyr

But sadly you're limited to paracetamol, and an ice pack

daisygirlmac Fri 14-Apr-17 17:55:31

Definitely take paracetamol! You can take stronger painkillers but speak to a doctor first. If you can hang on with paracetamol for a couple of days it will start to wear off but ouch for now!

kathrynelizabeth3005 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:49:13

Paracetamol is absolutely fine and won't have any negative effects on the baby! Just stay away from ibuprofen during pregnancy!
If you need anything stronger, see your GP because they are able to prescribe codeine during pregnancy if necessary. I have awful joints and have been taking low dose codeine occasionally throughout my pregnancy on the advice of my Midwife and Consultant.

Hope your hand feels better soon! Do lots of rest, cold packs etc with it as well smileflowers

Sunshinegirl82 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:01:28

Take paracetamol, it's fine. You might need to see someone so they can release the blood from under the nail. The nail can't swell which is why it's so painful. I did the same thing a few years ago. If GP is closed for the weekend might be worth a call to 111.

SockQueen Fri 14-Apr-17 20:15:21

Paracetamol is fine. Might be worth going along to minor injuries - if there's a build up of blood under the nail then it needs releasing, which should relieve the pain. They can also give stronger painkillers if needed.

lilyborderterrier Fri 14-Apr-17 20:39:42

Ouch bless you love xx yes paracetamol is fine and I have been prescribed codeine by my hospital consultant for Fibroid pain, reluctantly taking it when I need to but apparently it's safe. Hope you are ok xx

haveacupoftea Fri 14-Apr-17 22:13:44

I also swore I would take nothing during pregnancy. How I laugh as I take my aspirin, metformin and inject insulin daily, one GD diagnosis later. Medicine is necessary if you are unwell and paracetamol is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now