Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breast feeding and labetalol

(7 Posts)
Phoebesmam2013 Thu 13-Apr-17 20:20:05

Hi has anyone took labetalol and successfully breast fed? I took it from 28 weeks with my first and never got a milk supply, talk about feeling guilty and the midwifes tried and tried to help but nothing ever came.

Now pregnant with my second and the same thing has happened been put on labetalol again from 28 weeks and worried it will stop my milk again and finding out it can affect my supply after a lot of research. If only I had of known this in the beginning I might not if felt so guilty about it!

Hedgeh0g Thu 13-Apr-17 20:38:25

No experience, but the Breastfeeding Network have an excellent service run by a pharmacist that will tell you, based on research and evidence, whether a particular drug is safe to take during breastfeeding.

https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/detailed-information/drugs-in-breastmilk/

MaudGonneMad Thu 13-Apr-17 20:43:07

I've on labetalol from the v end of my pregnancy and since giving birth - my DD is now 5 months. Haven't noticed any issues with supply.

I hope it works out for you.

YoureMyWifeNowDave Thu 13-Apr-17 20:46:39

I was put on labetalol at around 20 weeks and took it until DS was a couple of weeks old, he is 8 months now and still feeding, I had no problems with supply until my periods came back and now notice a small drop whilst period is here but nothing major.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 13-Apr-17 22:32:27

I took labetalol for a few weeks post baby and was able to breastfeed until 10 months. I had a variety of problems, but never put them down to labetalol.

littleshoutymouse Fri 14-Apr-17 09:45:10

Yes, I was on it for 5 months from 35 weeks and managed to feed DD for 15 months until she self weaned!

The labetalol did have the unfortunate side effect of giving me temporary Reynaud's syndrome in my nipples for almost of those 5 months which was excruciating at times but no supply issues.

I don't know if supply issues are linked or not but hopefully you were just unlucky last time!

I wish you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy, BP issues and PIH are stressful flowers

QuizTeamaAguilera Fri 14-Apr-17 21:53:52

Yep, I was on it for a couple of weeks post-partum. Along with Coracten (Nephidipine? Anther blood pressure one anyway) for about 4 months lost partum. Breastfed my DS for 2.5 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now