Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring big/extra scan

(21 Posts)
LauraK1987 Thu 13-Apr-17 15:47:30

Hi Ladies,

I'm currently 28+2 and saw my community midwife on Monday for regular checkup. It was the first time she measured my tummy and I measured at 33cm....now as I understand it from my first pregnancy, you typically measure at roughly the same amount of weeks you are (give or take a couple of cm)

Anyway, i was told I would need another scan (booked for Monday) to check if either baby is just a little bit bigger at this stage than anticipated or I have excess fluid, I'm also booked in to see community midwife again in 3 weeks instead of 6weeks.

The community midwife didn't seem worried and I don't think I am really, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and what the outcome was....

Thank you 😊 Xx

arbrighton Thu 13-Apr-17 15:59:36

Lots of people get growth scans. And the fundal height is renowned for being very approximate.
But it's best to be checked out.

SIL measured big (once, probably an error) and they had a lot of worry and extra scans for fluid/ scary stories about tubes to check for blockages at birth before it was concluded she was measuring fine and it was an error.

LauraK1987 Thu 13-Apr-17 16:04:32

Yeh my community midwife mentioned it could have just been how baby was positioned at the time she measured me, apparently you can only be measured every 2weeks which is why she wanted me booked in for a growth scan just to rule out extra fluid etc apparently they need to know about excess fluid so they can be accurate about how baby is positioned when you go into labour etc (that's what I gathered anyway) I think I'm more nervous that baby might be huge haha! Thank you for your reply 🙂

ForTheLoveOfGrace Thu 13-Apr-17 16:04:52

I was the same but a later on in my pregnancy. Baby loved carbs so was told to reduce slightly & all was good.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Thu 13-Apr-17 16:14:45

I measured big right from my 20 week scan. 8lb7oz baby born a month early with no issues and has been up in the 90s on the centile lines for everything since.
I had a C-section because of having had one previously but there are a lot of threads on here where women say their big babies were easier to birth so try not to worry. Congratulations aswell!

LauraK1987 Thu 13-Apr-17 16:24:11

Thank you and I've heard that too superhero! I had emergency section with my son but I've opted for natural birth this time which consultant said should be fine so if she is big maybe I don't need to be so nervous ha!

I'm loving all the wrong foods unfortunately for the love of grace and have been the whole way through...so could possibly be something to do with that 🙈

mammytoonebabyboy Thu 13-Apr-17 17:01:10

My baby is estimated to be 8lb already and I'm 37 weeks (thankfully in early labour so he'll be out before he grows much more haha) but at 33 weeks he was measuring 41 weeks and last week on my scan he was measuring off the scale because they don't go up to the week he was measuring. I have always measured bang on my fundal height, and I have a big baby and I have polyhydramnios (extra fluid) so fundal height is to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you looked at my chart you'd never think I have a massive baby and extra fluid, but I have. I wouldn't worry and if there isn't an underlying reason for a big baby (diabetes etc) then you just have a big baby and I wouldn't worry x

LauraK1987 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:03:29

I'm sorry to sound thick but what's Fundal height? I think because my first baby was only 6lb 7 the idea of a bigger baby is a bit scary but either way as long as she is ok and there's no concerns regarding either the fluid or baby then I'm happy 😊 It's nice (and reassuring) to hear other people's experiences x

arbrighton Thu 13-Apr-17 19:37:48

Fundal height is the measure of your bump with a tape measure

LauraK1987 Thu 13-Apr-17 21:59:55

Ahh thank you x

ITMama1 Thu 13-Apr-17 22:08:34

I measured 4 weeks bigger than date from approx 26 weeks. Given the glucose test for gestational diabetes, but came back clear. Consultant recommended an ELCS based on my estimated 9lb baby at 36 weeks. Delivered 1 week early by recommended section and weighed 9lbs 13oz. Their sizing was spot on, I just grow big babies apparently. I was literally just all bump. Was back in my jeans 2 weeks later. Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

LauraK1987 Thu 13-Apr-17 22:23:25

Oh wow!!! One of my close friends measured 5cm ahead from 25 weeks, she wasn't induced or advised to have ELCS they just monitored her closely with growth scans etc she went into labour naturally and her baby was 9lb+ and born within 20mins of her getting to hospital!

I really really don't want to have a cecarean, I had emergency section with my son 5years ago and I'm desperate to have a natural birth and up to now consultant has said that would be fine, I'm really hoping that if baby is measuring a bit bigger or I have excess fluid it won't mean I can't have the natural birth I desperately want x

ForTheLoveOfGrace Fri 14-Apr-17 12:35:09

My LO's weight slowed as soon as I wasn't eating so many sandwiches smile you have more time on your side than I did to curb the weight gain for a healthy natural delivery. Plus side my DH on the whole a really good eater. If it helps my consultant said she had a natural delivery with a 10 pounder & had no probs she was quite slender too. Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine I really wanted a natural birth too so I know how you feel.

LauraK1987 Fri 14-Apr-17 15:03:53

I haven't put weight on anywhere else really, I'm literally all bump but have had a huge appetite right from the beginning. I'll have to wait and see what they say on Monday...I hope they don't tell me to stop eating 😩 Haha!! My other half eats really well too I wish I had his discipline

LauraK1987 Fri 14-Apr-17 15:05:03

I'm only really petite as well, 5"1 and between 7.5 and 8 stone (before pregnancy obviously haha)

PastysPrincess Fri 14-Apr-17 15:10:06

I measured slightly over for fundal height all the way through my pregnancy but it wasn't investigated as it was within tolerances. The midwife estimated baby to be around 7lbs and I was carrying a lot of fluid. He was 11lb 9oz. I had some complications and ended up making a complaint. In their reply, the hospital stated that estimating a babies size is very difficult even for the most experienced obstetrician and open to a large margin of error.

ForTheLoveOfGrace Fri 14-Apr-17 18:42:55

Yeah I didn't either it was all my LO really she's not a big girl really but has always been 75th percentile which to be honest is awesome. Never need to worry really.

Applesandpears23 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:45:28

Make sure you pee right before they measure your belly. A full bladder can push everything up and make your bump seem bigger. My midwife told me to wee right before my appointment.

arbrighton Fri 14-Apr-17 19:16:01

Yeah, I was busting at my last midwife appt and measured slightly ahead. But would have been at the growth scan anyway

LauraK1987 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:58:04

I went to the toilet literally minutes before my appointment as I take a sample with me for her to dip test at every appointment so my bladder definitley wasn't full. The one things that's bothering me the most is if she is genuinely measuring big, that they won't let me have natural birth and will make me have a section. I've been looking forward to a natural birth so much and I'd be really gutted if I couldn't have one this time. Chances are I won't have anymore children as we will have one of each now so really wanted the experience.

sailorcherries Fri 14-Apr-17 21:42:40

I'm the opposite. My bump measured 1 week smaller than it should but had already scheduled growth scans due to a previous big baby (10lb8oz). At my 30 week scan baby was measuring 33 weeks and estimated 4lbs, at my 34 week scan baby was measuring 38/39 weeks but never caught the estimated weight. Imy booked in for an elective c-section at 39 weeks and none of the midwives seem concerned about size. Everything else is spot on and I've had two negative gestational diabetes tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now