Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bad breath - pregnant

(4 Posts)
SourBubblegum Wed 12-Apr-17 23:19:10

I am currently in my second trimester of pregnancy, and have noticed more so now (did in first trimester but not as much), that I have really bad breath.
My sense of smell is very sensitive at the mo, so could possibly be that, but it's really making me self conscious.
I will be making a dentist appointment, when my exception certificate finally comes through, but in the mean time I'd love to hear about your cases of bad breath in pregnancy.
My dental health isn't great, parents over indulged us with sweets and junk food as kids. Teeth are also overcrowded, have a crown and a few fillings. Teeth are also sensitive. I also have a gap where a tooth broke off, and nerves weren't removed. I wasn't keen for surgery on the gap (they would have to sedate me -wimp- and cut my gums open), but dentist said if it causes pain then I'd have no choice. It's been 3/4 years since that happened, and no problems. Money has always been the big issue for my dental health to, and haven't been able to afford it. Even with the maternity exception certificate to have 'repair work' done, I would have to pay and it's not something I can afford to spend the money on. I considered it during my last pregnancy.
Yes, I hate my teeth big time!
I struggle to brush my tongue, as it makes me gag, but i do it whenever I am able to.
Do you think the smell is coming from either my teeth, gums, tongue or throat?
The smell is so off putting now. DH says he doesn't notice it, unless I breathe in his face blush
Thanks everyone.

Solasum Wed 12-Apr-17 23:20:23

Could it be tonsil stones?

Squidgling Wed 12-Apr-17 23:23:03

Not sure but ring your dentist and see if they will still see you for free before your exemption card comes through. Mine have said that its fine so yours might too.

haveacupoftea Wed 12-Apr-17 23:41:37

Why would you have to pay when youre pregnant? I dont. Anyway as suggested above just ring the dentist and ask if you can come in. Theyll possibly only do temporary repairs until the baby is born but you have a year then to get everything totally sorted free of cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now