Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really stupid question...

(5 Posts)
JJ1612 Wed 12-Apr-17 18:48:17

I'm currently 37+4 and have basically been told by my MW that baby could come any day now. I keep getting the urge that I really need the toilet, and when I get there, I get the strong feeling I need to push but nothing comes.

The really stupid question is...what if I push/strain too hard and the baby comes? Can this actually happen and do others worry about this too?

I've been having menstrual type cramps on and off for about a week now but so far no proper contractions

weeblueberry Wed 12-Apr-17 20:09:05

You won't strain the baby out while on the loo assuming you've not had any contractions etc.

But the pressure might be because the baby is moving. Has the midwife given you any indication of how engaged you are?

FanaticalFox Wed 12-Apr-17 20:12:29

I get this. Its like when you have a water infection, i usually end up doing a tiny wee but it feels better after! Its because there is not much room for your bladder!
If only it was that easy to push a baby out. Don't worry OP.

JJ1612 Wed 12-Apr-17 20:20:25

Haha thank you for not making me feel like a total idiot. My first labour was quite quick and 12 years ago so can't really remember much! At my 36 week appointment I was fully engaged. My next appointment isn't until next Wednesday. Think it's just wishful thinking that she comes sooner rather than later as this pregnancy has been awful

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:38:54

I remember being really constipated (sorry!) at 41 weeks and thinking I was going to strain the baby out! Think the strength of pushing in labour was no more than that day on the loo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now