Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Nuchal fold measuing 7mm at 20 weeks(18 Posts)
Anyone ever had any experience of this?? Every thing else was fine but this was measuring 1mm more than the ideal range.
Blood tests at week 12 showed chance of Down's syndrome being 1 in 78500 so this has really hard me hard as everything up until now has been perfect.
We've opted to have the amniocentesis test but just worrying sick in the mean time! Appreciate any advice x
Sorry to hear that, I'm no expert but 7mm seems a lot, however don't they usually measure this at your 12 week scan? Just a suggestion, have you thought about a Harmony Test rather than the amnio? I had one because our risk came back at 1:273 - it costs £400 but is a simple blood test with no risk at all, whereas the amnio carries the risk of miscarriage. Obviously it's a lot of money so you might not be in a position to consider it. Good luck though x
Thanks twinkle. Sonography said they'd like it to be 6mm so slightly over.. I had blood tests done but at my 12 weeks scan everything was measuring perfectly. Never heard of that test but wouldn't have that money unfortunately x
I had the same measurement on my nuchal scan. I had blood test after which confirmed low hormone levels (PAPP-A etc) I opted to go for a cvs which involves a needle in the bump and bits of placenta removed for testing. It was uncomfortable having the needle inserted but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I was absolutely terrified but it turned out to be so much less scary than I expected. I got the results within a few days and everything cane back clear, thus was all at 13 weeks and I'm now almost 36 weeks with a strong healthy wriggler. I know they say cvs and the amnio has a risk of miscarriage but the chances are small and you'll be monitored carefully. It's still a horrible decision to have to make and I really feel for you love xxx
@Danniecake30 thanks for you reply, glad to hear everything came back okay for you! At my appointment the consultant explained that because of this measurement, my chances of something being wrong had increased 10 times (despite the midwife insisting last week they wouldn't be able to tell me this!) so my chances were now 1/7850. So we decided against the amino as the miscarriage risk was 1/300 - ive been given the opinion of amino at 32weeks as the risk is only early labour.. I decided to go ahead with this as I would like reassurance but could change my mind before then! Seems like a lot of stress that wasn't really needed.. hope everything goes ok for you and congrats!! xxxx
I've had three dcs and have never heard of measuring the nuchal at 20 weeks. In fact I understood it was only useful when measured up to 14 weeks. Have they mentioned any other "markers" from the 20 week scan? Or did they say everything else looked fine?
It depends on your final decision.
If you found your child had DS then would you abort?
If so then have the amino...
we have severely disabled Son and with our las child we refused testing as there was no point. We had created a life and a life with disabilities can still be a great one .... as we already know!
Life is full of risks .... our DD was born NT ....
best of luck!'
Dannie - but your nuchal was at the 12 week scan? Op is saying (I think) that her 12 week scan was fine but they have measured nuchal at 20 weeks (unusually I think) and it shows a higher reading.
If yours was at 12 weeks and op's is at 20 weeks there isn't a comparison in the situation, unfortunately.
Apologies if I've read it wrong.
@DalaHorse to be honest I think it's just something that is done in the area my hospital is in - a lot of people I've spoken have said that they never have any nuchal reading at 20 weeks either (if everything was fine at the 12 week scan like mine was).. the consultant also commented that it is currently being debated whether or not to stop the measuring. No there were no other markers and everything else looks fine.. xx
@Occadodo to be honest I'm not sure what I would do.. I was considering the amino as I needed reassurance as the midwife stated they were unable to tell me how much my risk had increased (it was originally 1/78,500!) and I couldn't find any answers from my own research either.. I decided against it when it was later explained my chances are now 1/7850 due to the nuchal measurement so it's put my mind at ease xx
Well, I know nothing technical about it but if your 12 week nuchal & scan was fine and there aren't any other markers at the 20 week scan then surely (hopefully) it's just "one of those things".
Fingers crossed for you!
@DalaHorse thank you! I hope so too and it certainly seems that way, the consultant I saw yesterday said that in the majority of cases like mine it is just one of those things so hoping it's the same for me!
When we consulted our extremely experienced midwife about this she said would you back a horse with those odds??? Made sense then.
She also said they had a woman with no markers at all and great nuchal fold and very very low odds have a child with DS .... so nothing is certain. I think the harmony would give better info now but my DS is 7 and it wasn't about then.
My SIL had the amino when her bloods came back at 1:98.... but she had a 1:100 chance of loading the baby through amino ! Crazy in my opinion!
What will be will be.... children are a blessing and amazing in every form.
Relax and enjoy your pregnancy... your baby will love you no matter what !!!!
@dalahorse my nuchal was done at 12 weeks. As part of my job I actually organise all the pregnancy scans for West Yorkshire, so I know from experience that the nuchal fold scan is only really useful up until 14 weeks and 1 day. Anything over that and the measurements can be invalid as the nuchal can increase slightly with fluid or decrease, showing a false negative result (basically a result that there's no risk when there is, as the size of the nuchal fold can reduce as the baby grows). In our area we don't count the measurements after 14 weeks, but can do a blood test up to 16 weeks. I can't imagine why they would find the results to be reliable at 20 weeks! Sorry for the late reply, hope you're ok Emily xxx
@Occadodo thanks for your post, I finally feel like I can enjoy the pregnancy now I've been given actual odds! X
@Danniecake30 that's so interesting! I wonder why they would even bother doing my measurement at 20 weeks?! Kinda makes sense that no one else I've spoken to have had it done. Having another scan in 10 days to look closer at baby's heart so hopefully that'll come back all fine and I won't bother with anymore testing as I'm sure baby is ok and I've been worried for no reason! Thank you xx
Emily - just had my 20 week scan today to be told that my measurement was 6.4mm and like you I had a low risk on bloods at 12 weeks (1 in 50,000). I too have been told that it increases risk tenfold so now 1in 5000. My consultant was fairly relaxed about it (my sonographer was not so helpful - she seemed to panic causing me to panic!). I have another scan a week tomorrow so fingers crossed all goes well for both of us. It's scary, despite the odds, so thinking of you! Hope you get good results.
@mumofthreegirls3 I'm surprised that someone else has gone through this as I thought I was the only one! Yes, increased by ten fold does sound like a lot so it's quite scary but at least our odds were really good to begin with! When I went back for a rescan they couldn't get an exact measurement (he kept hiding behind my belly button!) but it was still over - going back in a week to have a closer look at his heart. Hope everything goes okay for you too, thank you xx
Join the discussion
Please login first.