Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chemical pregnancy in Feb now pregnant again with pregnancy of 'unknown location' :(

(33 Posts)
Southy84 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:47:58

In February I had some faint but positive pregnancy tests, they didn't get darker and a few days after the positives I started bleeding, once the bleeding stopped I got negative tests so dr thinks it was a very early mc. Since then I have not had a period (bleeding started 28/02) I found out I was pregnant again on Friday last week (1-2 weeks on a clear blue digital) I was ten days late before I started getting a positive and I know I did not conceive at normal ovulation time (it must have been the following week) , anyway I saw my dr yesterday because of stomach pain and because my tests seem quite faint, especially as I would now be 6weeks pregnant according to their calculations. So they sent me for a scan today, they couldnt see anything sad I know that nobody can tell me if everything is ok or not but I was wondering if anyone has found themselves in this situation? I know that if I ovulated late am obviously not as far along as 6 weeks, but do you think I should have seen something on the scan today? And shouldn't the clear blue now say 2-3 weeks? (I did another this morning and it still says 1-2) I am sitting here totally overthinking things, any experiences - good or bad would be greatly appreciated. I am waiting on blood test results which will be in tomorrow. Sorry that was a long one.... think I'm just hoping for some handholding x

confusedat23 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:06:27

Hey OP i cannot give you a complete answer but i might be able to help... the CB counts from time of conception however they are normally wrong.

Lets say for example you ovulated 10 days late (as you were 10 days late when you got the positive test) that would have made you just over 4 weeks when you had your scan.

I had a pregnancy of unknown location (now 11+5) and i had a scan at just over 4 weeks and you couldn't see anything which is completely normal for that gestation

Have the done 48 hour HCG bloods for you? If not demand they do as it will pretty much give you your answer... you need that have a greater than 66% rise in 48 hours to give the doctors a pretty good idea that you have an interuterine pregnancy. If it is less than that but still going up it is either an ectopic pregnancy or one that is failing which i obvioisly hope it is neither of those 2 things!

I hope this helped hun x

Southy84 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:16:32

Thank you so much confusedat23 that is reassuring, they took bloods today and I will get the results back in the morning, they've said that they will probably need to repeat them Thursday unless they are so low tomorrow, I know it's a waiting game I just hate the waiting sad x

confusedat23 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:19:47

Southy don't let them fob you off saying they are too low tomorrow!... you do not know your gestation so they cannot even attempt to guess what your HCG should be! Also mine was 93 at 4 weeks and on another thread on here at 4 weeks there was a range from 20-2000 HCG... its the amount of rise that counts!

Southy84 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:35:09

Thank you, I got the impression that if they are really low tomorrow that they would just assume it to be a early mc again, I will ask for a another if they don't offer it. I don't think I will sleep tonight!

user1488833003 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:02:42

Hello

I had my first scan at 7 weeks as was in so much pain. They couldn't see anything but an empty sack and it wasn't until a 8 and half week scan that you could see anything and it was confirmed as a normal pregnancy they have to say "unknown location"
Just in case it's an ectopic as that can be fatal for the mother if missed. They should be doing your bloods 3 days apart as that's how long it takes the hormone to double. Also don't be alarmed if they do find the pregnancy to be further behind I was measuring 8 days behind but at my 12 week scan baby had caught up perfectly xxx

user1488833003 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:04:15

Also don't rely on the digital test they are amazing but they aren't the most reliable things it's only really
To give you a first indication of how pregnant you are, not to be used like a scan

whoknewitwastrue Tue 11-Apr-17 22:46:57

I had this. Got a positive tests followed by a normal period so EPU assumed mc but HCG continued rising so they then thought ectopic or unknown location.

Had lots of scan showing nothing at all until around 7 weeks when a sac appeared. Heart beat appeared two weeks later & DD is now 6 months!

Horrible time but perfectly normal not to see anything at all early on.

Southy84 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:56:16

Thank you all for taking the time to comment, I've been stupidly googling the insides of clear blue digital tests (I know I need to stop), I will come back and update in the morning when I've got my blood test results, I'm keeping everything crossed, even though I have quite bad stomach cramps.

Southy84 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:49:30

Hcg back and it's only 77 so feeling a bit worried, going back for another blood test tomorrow sad

confusedat23 Wed 12-Apr-17 09:17:04

Do not give up hope Southy As I said you could be only 4 weeks if late ov? and my HCG was only 93 at 4 weeks so just keep your fingers crossed for the rise in levels!!

Have they told you when you will find out thr results of the blood tests tomorrow? In that time step away from the tests and try to relax and look after yourself flowers

Southy84 Wed 12-Apr-17 09:23:44

Thank you, I promise I won't do anymore tests. Because they do the test at the hospital they take 4 hours to come back, so I'm thinking of going in first thing so that I should know by early afternoon x

whoknewitwastrue Wed 12-Apr-17 22:48:05

Try not to worry (hard I know). My HCG was 43 at 4 weeks but was doubling which was the important thing.

confusedat23 Thu 13-Apr-17 07:44:00

Hoping the best for you today OP ❤

Southy84 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:25:37

Thank you for the reassurance whoknew

And thanks for the message confusedat23 I'm getting ready to leave now so hopefully my results will be ready early afternoon, I'm terrified what I'm going to hear and have prepared myself for the worst to be honest (just not feeling as pregnant now) but at least I should have a definitive answer today x

Wombletor Thu 13-Apr-17 09:04:16

Hi
I have experienced this. First time was straight after a miscarriage, I had regular scans and hcgs which didn't rise normally, and it was managed until I mc'd naturally.
With my current pregnancy, I had an initial scan due to recurrent MC, which showed nothing but a thickened lining, a PUL. The Dr said it could be too early if hcg below 1000, a non viable or ectopic. Thankfully my hcg doubled and prog was high and 2 weeks later there was a fetal pole and HB.
The hcg doubling will give an indication which direction things are going for you. I hope everything works out well. Take care

confusedat23 Thu 13-Apr-17 09:31:46

We will be here for Support whatever happens OP!... it is always best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best hun so don't feel guilty... PP just reminded me doctors don't expect to see a viable pregnancy until HCG at 1500 so don't worry about scans until that point!

Southy84 Thu 13-Apr-17 11:41:41

Ive just had a call and they've gone from 77 to 190 in the past two days (last blood test was on Tuesday late afternoon) they've booked me in for a repeat scan in ten days time, so the anxious wait begins... the nurse didn't say too much, I know that they can't get your hopes up but just said I need to wait for the scan now. Thank you all for your support x

confusedat23 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:04:09

Those numbers look good to me Southy a 146% rise is alot more than you needed... just keep looking out for yourself and when you go next time you should see at least a nice little bubble and yolk sac... so so happy for you! ❤❤❤

Southy84 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:20:55

Thank you, you don't know how much I appreciate having lovely support here, I will come and update after my scan, just praying everything will be ok x

Wombletor Thu 13-Apr-17 12:44:32

Southy84, this sounds very positive. Your hcg has doubled nicely.

Southy84 Thu 13-Apr-17 13:06:22

Thank you wombletor Maybe the chemical pregnancy messed my cycles up and that could account for me being not as far along, i have to admit I did cry down the phone to the poor nurse who called with my results blush as I was so expecting her to say they'd gone down

october17baby Tue 18-Apr-17 12:38:56

Yay congrats so far please keep us updated !! Xxx p.s mine doubled that quickly too had a scan for possible twins haha! Mine wasn't twins my best friends was wooo xx

BurntBum Tue 18-Apr-17 12:45:28

I'm glad your HCG has risen well and I don't want to out a dampener on things but please still be aware of the signs of an ectopic pregnancy. The well known ones such as stomach pain and shoulder tip pain but also pressure in your back passage and loose bowels can also be a symptom. Good luck with your scan.

Southy84 Tue 18-Apr-17 14:42:47

Thanks october oh blimey don't think I'm prepared for twins!

burnt thank you, you haven't put a dampener on things at all, I'm still feeling very nervous as the stomach pains were the reason for my original dr visit, I'm just taking one day at a time at the moment and just hoping for good news next week. luckily the stomach pains have eased now, but I will definitely be contacting them if they get bad again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now