Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Day time napping for baby

(6 Posts)
Smurfy23 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:34:43

Hi

I am 30 weeks pregnant with my first child and am in the process of trying to finalise all the "big" things that we need before DC arrives. Am getting slightly confused though about what I need to have for day time napping though so would appreciate any advice or expertise.

At the moment I have a carrycot thing from the pram I was thinking we could use for when theyre napping downstairs. I also have one of those swinging chairs that can rock/vibrate baby to sleep. Is that enough?! I keep seeing friends pics on facebook etc in those Sleepyhead-type things...are they essential or am I covered with what Ive got? Just want to try and make sure Im doing the best I can....thanks!

MollyBloomYes Tue 11-Apr-17 17:51:35

I'd stick with what you've got for the moment, carrycot sounds ideal. You never know what sort of sleeper you'll have and what they'll end up preferring. Sleepyhead is an expensive purchase if they're not bothered! But if they are...have a look at the Poddlepod. Much cheaper (though not advised for overnight use). My second baby loved his but my first would only sleep after being bounced for ages in his chair. But honestly, go with what you've got before trying to predict anything.
And be prepared for them to only want to sleep on you for a while anyway wink get some box sets!

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:27:23

Sleepyhead is not essential what you have is fine. Ds refused to be put down without the sleepyhead so we got one (and loved it!) but that won't be the case for every baby.

If they get on with what you already have then great! If not you can always get the sleepyhead later on. You can pick them up secondhand on the local Facebook selling groups.

Smurfy23 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:21:15

Great thanks both! Will stick with what I have currently and see how we get on. Thank you for putting my mind at ease!

Lemondrop09 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:26:34

I'd be wary about letting a baby sleep in a swing. Fine for soothing but not sleeping. There's been rare cases of small babies died in swings (and also when sleeping in car seats) sad. Babies are far safer lying flat on their back in a carrycot, Moses basket or similar.

Aliveinwanderland Tue 11-Apr-17 20:29:03

I agree stick with what you have and see how it goes.

My DS is 5 months now. For the 6 weeks all his naps were being held by someone. After that he would sleep in his bouncy chair, or in the pram bassinet. Now he goes in his cot, or on my bed, or is in his pram.

See what you little one likes best, and don't worry if he/she will only sleep on you for weeks on end- totally normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now