Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hayfever

(11 Posts)
user1490817136 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:47:10

Hi all ,

I need your pregnancy Hayfever cures!

I've tried haymax balm , local honey , changing clothes/washing hair when I get home , keeping windows shut at home , that nasal spray...however I am still up all night sneezing , sniffing and washing puffy eyes. The only thing that seems to work is the drugs , which during pregnancy I believe you can't take.

I know it seems minor but it's making me miserable and I've got a few outings coming up at work which I'll need to be functional during so some suggestions would be amazing!

Thanks.

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 10:51:42

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/935.aspx?categoryid=54 says loratidine and cetirizine are ok

Lemondrop09 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:57:17

Try this

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0049GZ3LW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491904554&sr=8-2&keywords=red+light+allergy&tag=mumsnetforum-21

It's what I've used to control my symptoms for the last few years. Best used before symptoms flared up and regularly every single day to keep on top of it, but you can still start now (takes a bit longer to work if your nose if already very inflamed).

user1490817136 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:58:04

Thank you so much! You have no idea how relieved I am to read that link.

user1490817136 Tue 11-Apr-17 11:02:14

Lemondrop , that looks really interesting. It's good to have a recommendation too as after spending over a tenner on a jar of obscure honey that's local to my (city based) area , I want to spend wisely :-)

Twinnypops Tue 11-Apr-17 11:28:55

The best thing would be to speak to your GP as they can advise you on what medications (if any) are safe to take during pregnancy.

Northernexile Tue 11-Apr-17 11:30:28

I took Loratadine when I was particularly bad- I read a bit online which suggested any risk was negligible.

arbrighton Tue 11-Apr-17 12:06:21

Gp, and NHS page say beconase etc are fine, and as that is what actually works for me, am very grateful. Not bothering with loratidine as it never seems to work anyway for me.

user1490817136 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:09:56

Thank you everyone. I've made an appointment with my GP.

In the meantime I've bought a bottle of piriteze (centrizine) and am taking the dosage recomended for a small child , having weighed up the risks and done some online research first.

The sneezing and coughing is causing immense stomach pain , it's having an effect on my chronic lung condition too.

seven201 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:12:18

I took ceterizine throughout pregnancy (dust allergy as well as hayfever). Didn't ask gp but none of doctors, consultants, midwives batted an eye lid when I mentioned it (when asked if I take any meds for anything).

user1490817136 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:39:17

Thanks Seven , I feel your pain , being allergic to EVERYTHING is really tricky when pregnant.

I'm more than a little cross that the attitude of most GPs is that you should just 'suck it up' because you're a pregnant woman. I'm pretty sure that lack of sleep , constant stomach muscle pain , and increased usage of inhalers do not make for a massively healthy pregnancy either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now