Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Name Advice

(20 Posts)
user1491891884 Tue 11-Apr-17 07:35:13

Made the mistake of telling some family members the boy name we love and their reactions were quite dramatic. They hate it. Thinking it's because of the alliteration. I don't want to give our baby an awful name! However, we don't think it's awful and my hubby loves it. The name would be Harvey Cooper Horton.

Thoughts?

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 11-Apr-17 07:37:11

Umm...... it sounds like a character in an American children's book, or cartoon. Sorry.

GreedyDuck Tue 11-Apr-17 07:41:45

Sounds like a firm of solicitors.

bellalou1234 Tue 11-Apr-17 07:49:33

I like it

HbH Tue 11-Apr-17 07:51:29

I like it... really approve of alliterative names!! On the hunt for a goid boys F name!!

Redyellowpinkblue Tue 11-Apr-17 07:53:26

It really does sound like a solicitors firm or estate agents!!!
Guess I'm not a big fan of surnames as first names, sorry OP.

GastonsWife Tue 11-Apr-17 08:01:41

I would never think of Harvey as a surname? Cooper is cute as well.

JJ1612 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:11:49

Not a lot of people like the name we've got chosen for our daughter. I usually get the response of "I thought that was a boys name" or "I don't like that" but I don't care. Me and my partner like it and people are eventually starting to come around to the name. I can't see anything wrong with the name you have chosen

Redyellowpinkblue Tue 11-Apr-17 08:21:14

Harvey is a really common surname here in Cornwall.

Foggymist Tue 11-Apr-17 08:25:13

He's going to be called Harvey Horton if Cooper is a middle name rather than part of a double surname, Harvey Horton is kinda tough to say and does sound a bit silly and cartoony, sorry.

Hollyhop17 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:37:29

Love alliterative names and think Harvey is perfectly normal. If you like it, stick to your guns!

vfoster Tue 11-Apr-17 08:42:22

When I had my daughter I told family our choices and they mocked both of them! It annoyed me at the time but when she was born I still called her it because it was my choice not theirs! People always tell me now what a lovely name it is...even if they can't spell or pronounce it 😂.
If someone tells me what names they like I always say it's lovely even if it's not what I would call my own baby. It's 100% your choice. I have an alliterative name in mind for our next baby who is due in July. I've just learnt to keep it to myself and say I don't know what I want to call it yet!

ScarletSienna Tue 11-Apr-17 08:50:53

I think if many others dislike a name, it's worth listening to what they say as it isn't just you that's got to like a name, the child does (or at least not be mocked etc for it).

I wouldn't give a boy's name to a girl for a few reasons but surnames for first names doesn't bother me as much. I'm not keen on alliterative names and Harvey Horton sounds a bit Dr Seus. Also names that are also surnames for both first and middle names does sound like a solicitors or estate agents like others have said.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 11-Apr-17 08:53:16

Redyellow it's so common in Cornwall that my great grandparents were both Harveys before they married - no relation. There were also other unrelated Harveys on the same street my grandmother grew up on grin

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Apr-17 08:55:13

I love alliterative names! Harvey Cooper Horton is ok, but it is a name full of surnames iyswim. But then most boys names could be surnames.

HbH
Fletcher
Frazer
Fergus
Frank
Frederick
Finnian
Flynn
Finn
Francis
Fergal ?

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 11-Apr-17 08:55:35

Back on topic... Harvey Horton is fine. Harvey Cooper Horton does sound like a firm of solicitors, but he won't be using his full name that often, I would imagine.

Loyly Tue 11-Apr-17 08:55:54

There's nothing wrong with it. I dislike it because I don't like surnames used as first names and with Harvey Cooper Horton I only see three surnames in a row.

HbH Tue 11-Apr-17 09:09:20

Ah thanks Bike

I like Franco but DH thinks it's pretentious!

FeelingForSnow Tue 11-Apr-17 11:18:37

I'm so sorry to disappoint but if asked the first thing hat crossed my mind was Mad Men. I think they even had Cooper for a while here too ;)
Otherwise it sounds OK. All names/ surnames are good, strong sounding names on their own. It might not be that bad. And children at school won't think of solicitors office they might later on but by then (if it happens at all) he shouldn't take things like that too personally.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Apr-17 18:22:10

You realise that Franco was a facist Spanish Dictator don't you HbH? Your DP has good reason not to be keen on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now