Talk

Advanced search

TTC Slapped cheek risk

(4 Posts)
Rae2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 20:45:24

Hi all

First time I have ever been on a forum but seeking some advice. I ovulated last week which means if conception was successful I would be at very very early stages of pregnancy (too early to check myself).

I work at a primary school and was told today that there is an outbreak of slapped cheek syndrome. Have phoned my GP who has advised I go for blood tests tomorrow (but the results can take a couple of weeks).

I don't want to take time off work *because it might be that I am not even pregnant). On the other hand, if I am pregnant, I don't want to put myself through any risk.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Is it highly contagious through touch? Airborne?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fluffywallow Mon 10-Apr-17 20:51:06

I researched this extensively a few weeks back as my DD had it when I was 15 weeks pregnant. I read the most likely people to catch it were parents, teachers and anyone in close contact with children. I read a number of threads where teachers had taken time off until their test results came back. Can you not get the results quicker? Mine came back Monday after being tested Friday.

I also understand that it's most risky between 9 and 20 weeks.

I think its about 60% of people who are immune. My mum had no idea I'd had it before but I'm immune.

It's a judgement call - do some research, it really helped me. Could you also ask your gp for advice?

vfoster Mon 10-Apr-17 22:27:54

I had a bit of a worry about this a few weeks ago. We had someone in school come down with it. I called the midwife and they told me to get a test ASAP but weren't too worried about me not being in school as I was 22 weeks. The midwife said teachers are very likely to be immune as they are constantly around these types of things.
Got my results back a week later and I was indeed immune.
Once the rash comes out it's no longer infectious apparently!

Rae2017 Tue 11-Apr-17 07:26:59

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm going to GP today to have blood tests and will ask more questions.

I've been researching as well and found similar things. And it might be that my bloods come back a lot quicker.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now