Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are you sure it's not twins? (Oh F off!)

(15 Posts)
redjumper Mon 10-Apr-17 19:54:29

I'm 39 weeks pregnant with baby 3 and I'm so sick of that line. 'Is there really just one in there? Wink wink'.
Yes it's just one, no my bump isn't measuring big. Leave me the hell alone with your insulting questions. I can no longer go within 10 meters of an older lady without hearing this crap. I can't see my GMIL (who has the added delightful habit of pointing out every weed in my garden) or go to any toddler groups anymore for all this harassment! It's been going on since about 20 weeks, I can't take it anymore!

GastonsWife Mon 10-Apr-17 19:59:12

I always get this! My bump is actually fairly small for someone of my gestation but because I am part of a set of twins I get this constantly. And "oh you never know" well at 38 weeks on of them must have been well hidden for me not to know 😫

arbrighton Mon 10-Apr-17 20:01:09

MIL is desperate for me to be having twins- only 13 months between DH and BIL as the closest she could get.
Assured her only one at 12 week scan yet somehow asked again at 20 weeks.

Not quite the same but also annoying

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Mon 10-Apr-17 20:03:22

I'm with you! 32 weeks with a very small baby so quite worrying yet people keep asking this same question. It is infuriating! angry

sunflowerpower17 Mon 10-Apr-17 20:08:00

I get this at work all the time! But it's from engineers and I think they legitimately have no idea! They seem surprised when I say no. Others keep telling me how neat and tidy my bump is so I constantly feel conflicted, hence deciding the engineers know nothing, saves my sanity a little.

ellesbellesxxx Tue 11-Apr-17 06:58:26

I am the opposite.. expecting twins but being told constantly that "oh you look small for twins"
Er well at 30 weeks I am measuring as if I was 36 weeks with one and i have put on 3 stone.. all on my belly. So I don't feel small wah!

Raffles1981 Tue 11-Apr-17 12:38:10

I am four months now and because I am short, 5ft 4'', my bump does look quite big. So I am constantly being asked when I am due - which always gets a shocked look as they assume I am farther along - or asked if there is only just one in there. Its infuriating! Why do people feel it is ok for them to ask rude questions, make massive assumptions and generally talk about you as if you cannot hear them!? It is beginning to grind a little. x

DinosaurFanGirl Tue 11-Apr-17 13:30:15

Oh god yes FFS this annoys me so much and it all comes from my step-side of the family. My step-sister was very weight conscious throughout pregnancy and as she is really tall her bump looked tiny and she had a tiny 6 pound baby. So now all I get from that side of the family is "you are huge" "your only 5 months and your already same size as what she was when she was due" and "make sure youre not over eating". Oh Eff Off! I'm still a size 8 and measuring spot on average for my dates thank you!! I will bloody well eat what I want thanks! I think its because I am about 6 inches smaller than my step sister in height and I'm carrying at the front and really low so its all out in one place. Why am I even justifying my appearance anyway? As long as MW says all I fine and healthy then everyone else can shut up! X

KoolKoala07 Tue 11-Apr-17 13:39:31

I'm only 11 weeks but dreading this. I'm a beauty therapist so regularly talk about the same subject 15 times a day. I got sick of talking about my wedding plans and I'm already sick of telling people where I'm going on holiday. I think I'm going to hide my pregnancy as long as I can .

shirleycartersaidso Tue 11-Apr-17 13:41:58

I have twins. I used to get the opposite "gosh are you sure there's two in there' etc etc. Something about pregnancy adn children seems to make people want to comment even if it is total utter bollocks.

Shamoffour Tue 11-Apr-17 13:42:04

People just feel they have the right to comment. They probably think they are being funny but it's just boring. You wouldn't comment on how fat/thin they are so they shouldn't really say things to you.
Op if it's any consolation I was measuring 50cms at 39 weeks with dc4 I was a size 10/12 before.
I used to literally stop traffic!!

BillyButtfuck Tue 11-Apr-17 13:47:51

I don't know what it is about pregnant women that makes people have verbal diarrhoea, several random people told me during my twin pregnancy to be extra careful because they themselves or knewsomeone who had twins and lost onehmm
Since they've arrived I've had a whole load of people ask me about IVF too confused

BillSykesDog Tue 11-Apr-17 13:53:08

I got this with my huge bump in pregnancy number 1 with a singleton. I also got it in pregnancy no.2 but it was twins! grin

If it's any consolation to you at least after you've given birth you won't have to put up with 18 years of 'Ey up, double trouble' comments. grin

StrawberryJelly00 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:46:02

This is SO irritating! I thought it was just me that got annoyed by peoples stupid comments on my bump. Why can't they just wish you well and shut the F up?! angry

fallingdownasteepsteadyslope Tue 11-Apr-17 15:35:11

I am a twin and had two sets of twins! With my first pregnancy, I got v annoyed with the comments about twins and then they ended up being true. Felt a bit silly after it all! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now