Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would anybody be an ANGEL (calling all list lovers)

(12 Posts)
inspiredbutohsotired Mon 10-Apr-17 12:19:22

... and help me write a comprehensive list of everything I'll need for a newborn baby?

Baby due August and so far all we have:-
- 3 in 1 travel system (pram, carry cot and car seat), we need to buy an isofix base
- a play mat
- baby bath & bath seat
- about 10 outfits
- blankets, knitted blankets and sheets for a side sleeper (being lent to us)

That's pretty much it. Help!

Plan is to breast feed but obviously it's not possible for some people, so we could end up bottle feeding.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 10-Apr-17 12:25:55

Nursing bras, breast pads and Lansinoh or similar? Assuming you've thought about nappies and wipes :-)

A change bag? Muslins? A hat?

You'll probably get lots of baby clothes as gifts so I'd wait and see what you get before you buy any more. Supermarkets are good for multi packs of basic baby clothes like vests and babygros.

daisygirlmac Mon 10-Apr-17 12:29:13

Feeding pillow, helpful if you BF or FF. Particularly helpful if you have a big baby! A million muslins. Bouncer chair or swing, maybe a wrap sling if you think you would like it? Sun shades for your car. Loads of big knickers smile

Gaaaah Mon 10-Apr-17 12:31:13

Sleepsuits and bodysuits will probably make up the essentials of your babies wardrobe. They can get through several sets per day if they are sicky or have nappy explosions (which they inevitably will!) I like to get enough for 2 changes a day. So 14 of each. Get them in a couple of sizes, newborn and 0-3. Try to find the ones with built in mittens, saves buying extra mitts that fall of all the time! A cardigan, couple of hats and bobs your uncle.

Muslin cloths are genius. You can use them for so much. Put them under babies head in the pram/crib eye in case they sick dribble it will protect the sheets. Use them for burping and drying damp bums to avoid nappy rash. They are great summer blankets too because they are so lightweight. You can cut them smaller, hem them and use them wet as reusable wipes too if that's your thing.

Nappies. Lots of nappies.

Ditto wipes. I like water wipes. They are kinder to baby bums.

I wouldn't buy too many lotions and potions. Baby skin is really sensitive. I had the full range for my first and he had terrible eczema so it all went to waste.

As for bottle feeding...you can get small bottles of pre made formula. Get a 6 pack just in case.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 10-Apr-17 12:47:43

Also, a change mat and somewhere to change the baby (could just be on the floor, or a special change unit). We had a change mat upstairs and downstairs so that we didn't have to go far to do a change in the case of a poo explosion!

FurryElephant Mon 10-Apr-17 12:48:31

The best things I've had for my DD have been the next to me crib, and a wrap sling! I would definitely have gone insane without them grinwe have a sleepyhead too which although not essential has really helped I think. Also if you're planning on breastfeeding I'd really advise having some nipple shields in the house just in case! We battled for a few weeks with us both in tears dreading each feed as she struggled to latch, remembered about the nipple shield and she then fed lovely without screaming for an hour blushagree with a million muslins and bibs if you have a dribbly baby!

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 10-Apr-17 13:55:26

Muslins
Bibs
Hats
Cardigans (not jumpers)
Vests (a mixture of long and short sleeved, newborn and 0-3m)
Sleepsuits (a mixture of newborn and 0-3m)
A sleeping bag?
Lansinoh nipple cream
Breast pads
Nursing bras
Comfy clothes for you, preferably tops stretchy enough to pull up or down
Big knickers
Maternity pads
Paracetamol and ibuprofen
Nappy cream like bepanthen
Metanium ointment is useful for very nasty nappy rash, but not a preventative
Nappies!
Nappy bags
Wipes or cotton wool pads
A top and tail bowl or a washing up bowl. You might not want to fully bathe baby until the cord has fallen off
Soft flannels
Hooded towels
A changing mat or two (upstairs and downstairs)
A changing bag with portable changing mat inside
A feeding pillow (eg boppy)
Infacol is useful if baby is windy
A bouncy chair or swing
Swaddle blankets if you fancy trying that
CHOCOLATE and BOX SETS

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 10-Apr-17 13:57:59

Also:
A cup with a lid for your tea and coffee

mayaknew Mon 10-Apr-17 13:59:32

I've always used tena incontinence pants for my post birth bleeding. They are amazing. Especially if you have stitches.

InsaneMummyOfThree Mon 10-Apr-17 20:51:43

Just a thought, does your side sleeper cot have a mattress (sorry I'm not sure how they work). If so would u possibly need to buy a new mattress for it as it's second hand. I only say as we always borrow a moses basket from family member but always buy new mattress. X

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 10-Apr-17 20:56:46

One of those reclining bath seats, tiny wet babies are slippery buggers.

A sling, a nice stretchy perhaps (like a close carrier).

A new DVD box set or Netflix access in the bedroom. Nursing lying down and some decent tv makes the first two years months a lot easier.

Save the number for the breastfeeding helpline into your phone. Tell everyone you'd like to breastfeed so you've got them on board before baby is here, and watch some YouTube videos with tips.

SpikeGilesSandwich Mon 10-Apr-17 22:07:13

I'd really recommend a swing seat, it's the only way I ever got to have a shower. Put it in the bathroom facing the water, does a great job, I'm still using it at 8 months. Also good for trying to eat your tea and various other things that are hard to do while juggling a baby.
Some other useful stuff:
Muslins
Sleeping bags
Baby friendly washing powder/liquid for endless washing
Dry shampoo for when you are too knackered to wash your hair
Cereal bars/breakfast biscuits to keep your strength up in the middle of the night
Breast pads for leaky boobs....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now