Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose tolerance test.

(16 Posts)
beck3001 Mon 10-Apr-17 12:06:57

Hi ladies!

Just received a letter through the door for a hospital appointment for a glucose tolerance test! Any ideas why this is being done?
I've not had it mentioned to me through any of my appointments!

For the record, I've never had any problems with glucose or diabetes, I was told bloods were normal.
And of course both midwives that I have contact numbers for are on annual leave!

Thanks!

FlowerPowerBecky Mon 10-Apr-17 12:18:41

At my booking appointment with the midwife she mentioned that I might be booked for a glucose monitor test, this was down to my Nan have type 2 diabetes, I haven't got diabetes or has anyone else in my family.

Have you put any relatives having diabetes in your pregnancy paperwork? They normally test just in case there is a risk of you getting gestational diabetes. (Diabetes just in pregnancy)

DuggeeHugs Mon 10-Apr-17 12:31:01

It could be due to your BMI. Have any of your urine tests had a + for glucose? Sometimes this can make them test. It may also be age related.

Creatureofthenight Mon 10-Apr-17 13:10:33

It's odd that no one has mentioned it to you - I was told I'd need one at my booking in appointment due to BMI.

KevinKeegan Mon 10-Apr-17 13:15:24

There's a whole list of things that are risk factors including high BMI, age 35+, having diabetes in the family, previous GD or other factors in previous births e.g. prematurity. Your midwife must have put one of these as a flag at your booking in appointment hence the need for one. If none of those, some hospitals routinely do everyone so could be that.

babynelly2010 Mon 10-Apr-17 13:48:19

My first was in trust where everyone had it routinely. This time i asked because my second was a large baby and I was not tested then.

Oysterbabe Mon 10-Apr-17 14:01:00

I had it because my dad has diabetes.

Lunalovepud Mon 10-Apr-17 14:17:36

I've had it both times as I'm over 35. If you check your notes it should say why you've been referred in there.

ChipIn Mon 10-Apr-17 14:22:15

Could it just be standard procedure in your area? Where I am (western Aus) everyone has the test when pregnant.

beck3001 Mon 10-Apr-17 14:24:57

Yeah nobody mentioned it!
I'm not at any kind of risk.
I'm 22, my BMI is 20, nobody in my family has diabetes..
Suppose this is why it has confused me!
Only thing that is unusual or anything is two previous early miscarriages.
Confused! I have to change it anyway because it says not to eat from 11pm and the appointment is the next day at 10am but I'm working in the night and it will exhaust me not to eat!

adorkableme Tue 11-Apr-17 13:52:36

Usually routine around 24-28 weeks here in England. You have to fast 12 hrs with the GTT test, or see if they will let you do finger prick testing for a week or 2 wks instead , or just choose not to do it. It's really up to you.

TiltedNewt Tue 11-Apr-17 14:24:35

I had one due to PCOS.

arbrighton Tue 11-Apr-17 14:32:10

It is not routine everywhere- our trust doesn't do them unless there are risk factors @adorkableme

KoolKoala07 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:38:00

Same here, not routine. I will be having one though due to high bmi.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:38:00

Don't live in the UK, but it is mandatory for everyone here, and a more detailed test depending on the results from the first. Just think of it as extra care for you and baby, its not as gross as it is famed!

FanaticalFox Tue 11-Apr-17 16:42:07

Probably being cautious due to previous MCs..just go for it, take every test you can get i say! Keeps your mind at ease and rules everything out. And its just 2 blood tests and a drink of some lucozade stuff so easy peasy but definitely worth doing anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now