Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maxi Dresses

(10 Posts)
confusedat23 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:26:38

Hey ladies looking for some advise... i really want to get some Maxi-Dresses now i am getting a bit more of a bump but there doesn't seem to be a lot of nice maternity ones out there.

Has anyone hust worn normal ones in a bigger size and looked ok?

Thanks!

Flappergirl86 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:31:13

Yep! I'm normally a 14 but got some cheap stretch jersey tshirt kind of material ones in a size 18-20 off ebay and they look perfect. Super comfy and I don't have to shave my legs which is just as well cos I'm struggling to reach them!!

theclick Sun 09-Apr-17 22:29:11

Primark have a standard spaghetti strap black one right now that I bought for the same reason.

NennyNooNoo Sun 09-Apr-17 22:34:46

Yes, I did this a lot. I wore a standard (meaning not maternity) Maxi dress for my sisters wedding the week before my DD was born. I found I didn't need much actual maternity clothing by wearing dresses which either draped loosely or ones in stretch material. Usually much cheaper too.

Sparklyuggs Mon 10-Apr-17 00:20:09

Mamalicious do lovely cotton maternity maxi dresses. I got mine from yummy mummy maternity but I think ASOS have them too.

confusedat23 Mon 10-Apr-17 05:52:46

Thank you so much ladies!...

i was worried a standard one might look odd like shorter at the front because of the bump but i'll look for stretchy type ones smile

cremeeggaddict Mon 10-Apr-17 15:09:23

I got a non maternity empire line one from simply be and it works perfectly. The sizing is really generous so got away with one up from my normal size. The length is still fine.

BaffledMummy Tue 11-Apr-17 07:34:25

Minor thread derail here (sorry!). Dead keen to wear maxi dress through summer with this pregnancy but HOW do you cope with all the extra boobage?! Spaghetti straps and strapless just not an option for me without unsightly maternity bra straps and bra less is no option at all unless I want to get arrested blush. Any tips?

confusedat23 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:41:53

well it's funny you ask that Baffled... I tried a maternity bra and didn't like it so DSil said to try soft crop top type bras and they have hideous straps on them!

However in the sunshine at the weekend I spent the whole time wearing a bikini top and it was the most supportive thing I have worn in weeks... and you could totally get away with a bikini top under a maxi dress no problem!

BaffledMummy Tue 11-Apr-17 14:20:44

Oh confused I fear my bikini top days may be numbered...I'm in terribly sensible two piece tankinis these days (with lots of underwire support!) I'll get searching for some Maxis with wider straps to hide the scaffolding...or perhaps worn with a short sleave cardigan. Or maybe I'll just live in leggings and wide sleeve vests for the summer after all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now