Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sertraline and pregnancy and miscarriage

(4 Posts)
Bippo Sun 09-Apr-17 21:12:45

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered off before but I just wanted a bit of a sounding board and reassurance. Bit of a novel below...sorry.

I have been on sertraline since having PND with my DD (now three) The highest dose was 200mg and am now on 50mg a day. I found out last summer that I was pregnant again (not planned but v happy) and at the 12-week scan discovered a MMC at 10 weeks. As usual, no reason given but when I went in for a D&C I remember all my notes said 'on sertraline' all over them. Maybe I was being oversensitive but it was always in the back of my mind that it may have been linked. When DH and I decided to TTC again I tried to come off the AD's but just felt awful so am still on it. I had a CP in January and am now five weeks pregnant, v happy but shitting myself at the same time confused

Has anyone else taken sertraline for some time before ttc and throughout pregnancy and all been ok? Am still considering dropping the dose/stopping taking it. Many thanks x

arbrighton Sun 09-Apr-17 21:44:40

Consultant said to me I could continue with sertraline throughout pregnancy if needed but i've been ok having come off it.
50 is as about as low a dose as you can have with sertraline and please don't just stop, it can cause horrid withdrawal symptoms, you have to taper off gradually.

I don't think there will have been any link with the mmc though

TeaAndPjs Sun 09-Apr-17 22:53:40

I got taken off it in last pregnancy as my GP said it could cause problems with the heart forming correctly, she mentioned other favtors but I can't remember them now! That pregnancy ended in MMC and I stayed off it afterwards as we started the again straight after

TeaAndPjs Sun 09-Apr-17 22:54:32

That shoulda said started - ttc again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now