Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Late / induction / can I just have c-section

(13 Posts)
babynelly2010 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:07:40

Would it be easy to get or will I get a lot of resistance? My last dc was 9.5 pounds at due date. I am worried of the size for this baby. Plus I don't think inductions are safe.
I would not want to book induction and will ask for c-section. Anyone done this?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 09-Apr-17 18:10:41

Kind of. I declined all pharmaceutical induction, and had told them I would from about 30wks. In the end I had several sweeps at 40+ and went into spontaneous labour. Due to failure to progress (I hate that term!) they wanted to put me on syntocin drip but I maintained my position and ended up having a section.

MelinaMercury Sun 09-Apr-17 18:11:37

I don't think inductions are any more (if not less) risky than a section.

But you could explain your worries and anxieties to your midwife and see if it's an option. I think in most cases they have to give you all the information but ultimately it's your decision.

Frazzled2207 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:13:50

I think you would need a reason and your first dc was not particularly large.
My second was 10lb and came out much more easily than his 8lb elder brother.

raviolidreaming Sun 09-Apr-17 21:14:53

I declined a sweep at 40+5, and declined to be booked in for induction. I declined again at 41+2 and requested a c-section which was arranged for 41+5. My reason was that I wasn't agreeing to a sweep or induction, and would only accept a c-section; I needed to be firm and stand my ground but there wasn't much resistance.

babynelly2010 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:42:18

Thank you for responses. They booked a sweep for me this thursday. I think I would say no altogether. I was thinking to move that to later but may better not to have it at all.

raviolidreaming Sun 09-Apr-17 21:50:33

I was adamant that I wasn't having a sweep - partly because I didn't like the sound of it, and the rest because I didn't want to end up on some sort of procedure conveyor belt.

babynelly2010 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:03:24

This is my current plan.
No sweep, no induction but planned c-section. Unless baby comes before on her own which is fine.

FanaticalFox Mon 10-Apr-17 09:38:28

I really don't want a section! I've had major stomach operations and i dont want to not be able to drive or lift my baby for a long period. What makes you all so against induction etc? I am now 39+4 but i also don't like the idea of being induced either but would rather that than a section ! Its a nightmare. I'm doing all i can to get labour to start but i know in the end its all down to when baby is ready. Good luck OP hope you get what you want.

Lunalovepud Mon 10-Apr-17 10:17:03

I refused induction because I've never heard a good story about one! All of the inductions I've heard about ended in births in surgery or EMCS so I refused and requested an ELCS. In the end I had a section anyway as I had preeclampsia and baby wasn't looking like he was moving anywhere fast. You don't have to have an induction - you don't HAVE to have anything. Speak to your midwife an get all if the facts. You will need to see a consultant to get agreement for a section of you decide that's what you want when you have all of the info about the options available to you.

babynelly2010 Mon 10-Apr-17 10:55:50

My baby was huge last time for my small body frame. The birth was also very traumatic and I will require at list 2 repair surgeries as is. They did give me a sweep last time and I am not sure if it attributed to the trauma of the whole experience but the whole thing was actually very hideous. This time my ultrasound showed about 7.5 pound baby at just over 38 weeks. So if delayed I am looking at pushing out another 9.5 pound baby. I told mw from the start if it shows that baby is too large I will not be having another vaginal delivery. I also researched and found inductions to be dangerous primarily for the baby but mother too.

raviolidreaming Mon 10-Apr-17 11:44:28

i dont want to not be able to drive or lift my baby for a long period

I could have driven after four weeks if I'd needed to, and was able to lift my 10lb+ baby the same day with caution. Admittedly, I had a relatively straightforward recovery.

Like Lunalovepud, I didn't know anyone with a positive induction story to tell. I know they're out there, but all the ones I heard ended in either EMCS or incredibly painful and pronged labours. Having your water broken sounds barbaric. As for sweeps, I'm not convinced they really do anything! By the time you're on your second or third, how do you know it's not just a coincidence when labour then starts?

Mrsbclinton Mon 10-Apr-17 11:54:51

Ive had three inductions

first ended up ventouse delivery
second straight forward delivery
third ended in emergency c section, baby was over 9lbs and his head was huge so I dont think I would have been able to deliver myself.

I had sweeps on 2 & 3 but I dont think they really do anything unless your body is about to anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now