Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pelvic girdle pain

(9 Posts)
grobsmum Sun 09-Apr-17 17:17:03

I found out this week I might have PGP. I have been in so much pain this week, coming home from work in tears and almost unable to move, Im a greenkeeper so my work is very physical. I've got a meeting with my boss tomorrow to talk about reducing the amount of physical work I do on the course. I also have appointment with doctor tomorrow to get referral for physio, but I'm 30 weeks and the thought of being in this pain for the next 10 weeks is unbearable! Anyone had any experience with this and have advice or tips?

Glossolalia Sun 09-Apr-17 17:22:27

flowers

I had PGP during my second pregnancy. God, it was awful!

The only advice I can remember that my midwife gave me was to not push trolleys whilst doing the food shop. Sorry, I can't remember any other advice!

Is there other work you could do? I take it you don't want to go on maternity leave just yet...

grobsmum Sun 09-Apr-17 17:25:20

Yeah I also do part of the office work but there's not enough work there for me full time.

Im due to start maternity leave end of May so would like to hold out until then but have discussed with DS that I might have to take it a little earlier I think I have holiday I can take to finished maybe a week earlier. I'm hoping the physio will help!

fuzzywuzzy Sun 09-Apr-17 17:29:17

Physio really really helped me, she also recommended my a support belt which is like magic and takes the weight of the bump off my hips directly and properly redistributes it.

I also do prenatal Pilates which has helped, been told to keep legs together and take small steps when walking. And make sure I walk properly the physio has to re-teach me how to walk as I was hobbling due to the pain.

Also can take paracetamol for pain, hotwater bottles or warm baths help as well.

chloesmumtoo Sun 09-Apr-17 17:33:47

Saw this on t.v. the other morning www.maternity-belt.co.uk

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 09-Apr-17 17:34:08

When you go to bed pop a pillow or rolled up blanket between your knees.
As pp has said a support band can be a godsend. Also avoid pushing anything heavy and sitting/standing in the same position for too long. Physio helps and you can take paracetamol while pregnant.
I ended up on crutches with pgp during my last pregnancy so I sympathise greatly. If it is any consolation mine had disappeared within an hour of birth. flowers

jennymac31 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:37:07

I've been suffering from really bad pelvic pain since I reached 20 weeks and after I had my initial consultation with the NHS physiotherapist she recommended I register for hydrotherapy sessions with the NHS. I've had weekly sessions for 7 weeks and they have really helped so it would be worth seeing if this is available at your health trust. Some of the mums-to-be in my hydrotherapy group were also having acupuncture sessions through the NHS along side their hydrotherapy/physiotherapy sessions.

MiaowTheCat Sun 09-Apr-17 17:38:02

I had it both pregnancies - unfortunately I'm the tiny minority who still suffer now years afterwards.

Keep your knees together - try to get out of the car in more of a "dignified supermodel in sportscar in front of paparazzi manner" than "miaow rushing to get into Tescos". It's not glamourous but sitting on a plastic bag helps for this as it reduces the friction between arse and carseat so you can pivot somewhat more elegantly.

Supermarket trollies still hurt my pelvis to fuck now! Really really avoid pushing them - it's the force you need to get a heavy trolley around corners or on a wonky car park that absolutely knacks.

I found warm showers and basically gently twerking my arse off in the shower on a morning while the water was running on the back of my hips helped a lot as well. OK so it's not very elegant twerking with a baby bump but just shut the door so no one sees!

starpatch Sun 09-Apr-17 18:03:44

Pushing the buggy seemed to make mine worse later- so I would say if you can afford it get a buggy with a height adjustable handle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now