Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will this shitty eating affect baby?

(25 Posts)
Tattybogle89 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:49:19

Only around 7 weeks.
Overjoyed to be pregnant! I overhauled my diet in the beginning. Was eating so healthy. And this last fortnight nausea has kicked in big time. Feel sick when I eat. Feel sick when I'm hungry. Feel sick when I move. . feel sick when I'm thirsty.
So I forced myself to eat fruit and push through nausea.
Now I cant stand the sight of those fruits.

So I'm eating, and just managing;

Cheese sandwich's on White bread.
Shreddies.
Yoghurt.
Biscuits.
Occasionally porridge

There's literally nothing I can convince myself to eat. I've gone off the thought of anything I normally like.
I promised myself I would be the perfect pregnancy eater.
Its just not gonna happen.

Can this harm development?
Feeling v.guilty

Xxx

ellesbellesxxx Sun 09-Apr-17 10:52:10

I was told that when you are that ill, anything you can eat is good! The baby will be using its yolk sac still for another couple of weeks.
If you can get any protein down you that would be good but don't feel bad. I survived on oranges and crisps when I was being sick blush

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:53:09

Baby will be fine - it's you that will feel shit not having a good diet!!

Friendlylightupbear Sun 09-Apr-17 10:54:37

Your baby will be fine! I ate nothing but Ritz crackers, McDonald's, mashed potato and haribo for most of my pregnancy (sick all the way through, sorry sad) DD (14 months) is a very healthy, robust little thing, never needed antibiotics, barely had a cold, super clever (bit biased grin) and lovely. Just make sure you take vitamin D and folic acid flowers congratulations on your pregnancy!

Tattybogle89 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:57:07

Didn't think about yolk sack!
What's good for protein if i don't like eggs or eat meat?

I haven't even been sick. Just feel it.
Feel full very quick to

And the constipation isn't helping anything.. Probably all the carbs

BeaveredBadgered Sun 09-Apr-17 10:57:54

My diet was awful when I felt sick in pregnancy- I only ate beige foods. Doesn't seem to have done any harm to my DD, now 14 months old.

BeaveredBadgered Sun 09-Apr-17 10:59:13

If you can manage beans, cheese and jacket potato and yoghurts you'll be doing ok for protein.

Tattybogle89 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:59:19

friendly I have been taking boots folic acid since before conception. And switched to their folic acid with vitD after positive test. Hadn't known vitD was needed til then. New since my last it pregnancy x

beekeeper17 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:59:28

Don't worry, I practically lived on awful crisps (wotsits, monster munch etc) in the first trimester, never would have eaten them before I was pregnant but couldn't get enough of them when pregnant! And I had such an awful appetite that I wasn't even eating half of a normal sized evening meal every evening. Take a good pregnancy vitamin which will help in case you are deficient in anything. And you'll probably find that once you get past the first few weeks your appetite will get back to normal anyway.

Tattybogle89 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:01:24

beavered I forgot about baked pots. Gonna give that a bash at dinner. Beans not my fave but will give them a shot.
Can't believe how quickly my body has decided everything I like is out of bounds!!

FrenchFrys Sun 09-Apr-17 11:03:42

My midwife told me "don't worry about the baby. They take why they need." Concentrate on nourishing yourself mama!

beekeeper17 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:05:55

I know they are quite expensive but you can get pregnacare multivitamins which have a range of vitamins and also omega 3 which is meant to be good for brain and eye development. Probably not completely necessary but might make you feel a bit better to be taking them when you're not up to eating much. Boots often have them on a 3 for 2 offer.

Lemondrop09 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:17:43

Better to eat what you can stomach than trying to struggle with healthy food and not eat at all. I have HG and existed on bland salty carbs for about three months with not a vegetable in sight. At 14 weeks, it's wasing slightly and I'm starting to be able to eat better.

Eat what you can, it likely won't be forever and baby will take what it needs. Take a pregnancy vit pill if you can.

Redken24 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:24:10

I could only stomach pickled onion space raiders fr about six weeks when I found out haha

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Sun 09-Apr-17 11:29:57

I vomited constantly for the whole 9 months of both pregnancies, lost a shit load of weight and survived mostly on crisps and ice cubes. Occasionally I would try and eat other beige crappy food or the odd frozen grape but wotsits were my staple and I would go for days without eating anything else. Both kids are fine and healthy and at 1&3 their physical strength amazes me.

A calorie was a calorie to me. In an ideal world I would have got them from better more healthier foods but I quickly learnt that if I didn't fancy or want a particular food but tried to eat it anyway it would make me be or feel extremely sick so I stuck to my 'safe' food. It was more important that I ate something rather than risk feeling worse in a bid to eat the 'right' thing.

adlertippa Sun 09-Apr-17 11:48:43

Good non-egg protein for veggies - tofu, tempeh, beans, legumes. Edamame beans are good and have lots of calcium ( you can buy them frozen from big supermarkets now, just steam and eat like peas) although I've gone off them after eating them lots just as morning sickness started.

I find it easy to throw chickpeas into most stuff, but I'm through morning sickness now. When I was super nauseous I just ate coco pops and marmite on toast! You'll have reserves, and your baby will be fine. Be kind to yourself xx

Ebbenmeowgi Sun 09-Apr-17 11:53:02

I went through a 2 week phase in the first trimester of only being able to eat fried chicken and milk (I never ate fried chicken before! Was always eating salads). Little one is absolutely fine and really robust. Try multivitamins. Hopefully this phase will pass for you soon, I remember really going off salad and the thought of it making me sick! But by the second trimester I felt wonderful and ate really well again.

stitchglitched Sun 09-Apr-17 11:54:28

I had HG for 40 weeks and lived on sips of fat coke and smoky bacon crisps during my last pregnancy. Baby was fine! Hopefully your sickness will subside soon.

MrsJayy Sun 09-Apr-17 11:57:49

I ate wotsits onion ring crisps and full fat lemonade for weeks and weeks was all i could stomach eat what is staying down was my midwifes advice. I did take multivits though

Lules Sun 09-Apr-17 11:58:55

In my last pregnancy on a bad day I ate haribo. On a good day I could manage crackers with Philadelphia, mango, pineapple and digestive biscuits. Couldn't even manage to take pregnancy vitamins because the smell of them made me vomit. He's now 18 months and fine. Hopefully you'll feel better soon but if not it's ok.

MrsJayy Sun 09-Apr-17 12:02:17

On a good day i ate healthier I was vegitarian back then but converted ate chicken and bacon

inkybunny Sun 09-Apr-17 12:24:54

Your diet sounds pretty similar to mine, and I'm ten weeks tomorrow. I eat what I can when I can and midwife said that's okay. I do feel guilty but I figure it's better to eat something than nothing and babies are efficient little parasites!

The big thing the midwife said to me was keep drinking water or squash or juice. You can cope without much food, but you really need to stay hydrated if possible.

FortyFacedFuckers Sun 09-Apr-17 12:35:34

I was sick for the full 9 months and the only things I ate were Frosties, cheese doritos, ice poles & the occasional roll with cheese on it. I was a size 8 and lost nearly 2 stone but my ds was perfectly healthy & 7lb 15oz and is now 11 and very fit & health, don't worry op just eat anything you can manage.

iamreginaphalange Mon 10-Apr-17 06:05:29

Congratulations on your baby.
Please don't feel bad, it's the hormones and sickness combined. Eat what you can, baby will be fine, they're resilient.
I was similar to you, I was sick and nauseous and hungry all at the same time... even drinking water in the morning would set me off. I lived on dry biscuits and crackers. It will get better with time.
Now I am 25 weeks and have terrible heartburn... oh joys 😉

picklemepopcorn Mon 10-Apr-17 06:41:50

I lived on milk in my second pregnancy. Literally, months went by where I had pretty much nothing else. DS was 10lb 4oz, bless him. I was back at pre pregnancy weight within a month because I basically put on nothing except baby and support system. He was absolutely fine though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now