Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone dyed baby clothes

(11 Posts)
ashleighbean Sat 08-Apr-17 17:13:07

I hate feeling like not got use out of things and have a 4yr old daughter I kept every single baby item and now found out having a boy is there any good dye out there so I can dye some of her pink bodysuits blue to save money? Same with her cot bedding which was pink?

DianeSelwyn Sat 08-Apr-17 17:18:11

Pink isn't limited to girls...boys can wear it, too.
confused

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Apr-17 17:25:21

I dyed a lot of DS's stuff purple for DD. Not so much to change colour, but because it was a bit dingy. I used Dylon machine dye. Beware that patterns/stains/stripes etc will still show through, and that the final colour depends on the colour of the garment to start with. Also, really, really clean out your machine machine seals afterwards.

RNBrie Sat 08-Apr-17 17:26:08

I did. It was brilliant! Dylon machine dye here too

ashleighbean Sat 08-Apr-17 17:28:43

Oh yeah dont intend to get rid of pink toys etc just a few clothes where they are too obviously girls

Joffmognum Sat 08-Apr-17 17:31:19

Of course you can, there are good resources elsewhere online. However, it would be cheaper and easier to just give your boy pink clothes.

Half of my 6 month olds clothes are pink/girly. It's no big deal. I haven't had one negative comment.

Your baby doesn't care if they are pink, only that they are soft and warm.

If the clothes are a very pale pink, dyeing them should be easy enough. Do some online research about what dye is best for you. If the clothes are a darker or hot pink, you'd have to bleach them to avoid making a murky purple. You'd then have to do a LOT of rinsing to make sure they won't irritate baby - it's not worth it.

DianeSelwyn Sat 08-Apr-17 17:34:01

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound rude!

I agree that Dylon is great. If you've got a large (cauldron-size) pot you can also stove dye, if you want to avoid putting it in your machine. I buy Dylon through Amazon, with free next-day delivery. Just be wary of nylon thread, which won't dye (but can often look quite good as contrast stitching!)

quirkychick Sat 08-Apr-17 17:36:18

I dyed a lot of pale, once white baby vests and grows lots of bright colours. This was 10+ yrs ago and there wasn't much in bright colours about. Also, once we had started weaning, lots of clothes were a bit dingy or stained. The stitching usually often doesn't dye and yy to cleaning out the washing machine seal after!

toadierocks Sat 08-Apr-17 17:41:32

yep dyed the whole lot with Dylon blue dye when found out I was expecting a boy next. Worked brilliantly! did all the Muslin squares too smile

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Apr-17 17:44:37

You can't dye over bleach with domestic Dylon dyes. I don't know if there are other dyes you can use. Dylon do a "colour stripper", but I have found that this makes the fabric quite brittle.

Another thing to note is that synthetic fabrics don't take colour well, and where they do, it'll be lighter than on natural fibres. This means you'll end up with stitching (usually polyester) the original colour.

NennyNooNoo Sat 08-Apr-17 17:57:04

The stitching on clothing is often polyester which doesn't take up dye so you'll end up with blue ( actually more like purple ) clothes with pink stitching. To be honest, I think it'll look like a bad dye job. Better either to reuse the clothes as they are or else sell them as a bundle on eBay and buy a blue bundle instead. Second hand baby clothes are pretty cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now