Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Travelling during pregnancy

(7 Posts)
user1491583343 Sat 08-Apr-17 12:10:32

Hi everyone,

Wondering if everyone has been travelling a lot during pregnancy and has any advice or tips. I am required to travel at least twice a month. The flights are around 3-4 each and I wonder if anyone has any experience or if knows of the implications that this could bring. I am just 5 weeks at the moment and still waiting for my MW appointment.

Thanks!

Excusemyfrench Sat 08-Apr-17 12:51:27

Generally flying in pregnancy is safe up until later. Where swelling/ early labour etc can make things difficult.

Provided you have a straight forward pregnancy it should be ok but best speak to your MW and maybe check with work if you can cut down on the flights a bit?

Best of luck

EssentialHummus Sat 08-Apr-17 12:59:52

I've flown quite a lot so far (19 weeks) and it's been fine. Things like morning sickness/nausea can make a difference though, obviously.

harleysmammy Sat 08-Apr-17 13:14:09

If you are a high risk pregnancy midwives probably won't let you fly and most airlines & insurances won't let you either (I only know this because I have polyhydramnios and wasn't allowed to fly from Cardiff to France as they class it high risk and the airline straight up refused to let me fly, I hadn't even asked my midwife at that point though). If you are low risk and have a normal pregnancy then it's totally fine until 34-36 when again, most airlines probably won't let you fly because of early labour, swelling etc x

Welshy11 Sat 08-Apr-17 13:28:09

It's totally dependant on the airline and your insurance. The airline won't be required to ask for a certificate for fit to fly until at least 28weeks and some actually don't require it at all, until then they have no right to request info such as low or high risk pregnancy.
As cabin crew I would recommend sitting on an aisle seat for access to the toilet, compression socks and lots of water to keep hydrated. Also found it beneficial to have some snacks available in case of long waits at baggage reclaim and voicing concerns for example if you are asked to wait a long period in a hot air bridge as until you show you may not get help.
Essentially it shouldn't be an issue to fly until you are ready to stop and the limit of how far along you are depends on the airline. Again double check insurance aswel.

Sparklyuggs Sat 08-Apr-17 13:54:12

I fly twice a week and have done since my BFP. Currently on my way to Heathrow for a long haul flight! I'm 24 weeks and the airline I use will let me do my (V) short haul flight until 36 weeks with doctors note.

-Plenty of fluids
-Suitable snacks
-Compression socks
-Sick bag (if needed)
-Plenty of contingency timewise so you can sit down if you feel unwell
-be organised and pack in advance to reduce stress

HTH

user1491583343 Sat 08-Apr-17 17:11:36

Thanks so much! Really helpful smile I will check with the MW and see how it goes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now