Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible for a baby to disengage?

(7 Posts)
MrsG2017 Sat 08-Apr-17 01:19:17

Yesterday at my mw appointment the baby was engaged and in a great position

I'm 40+5 and all day yesterday I had aches pains and generally felt a bit rubbish.

I moved awkwardly last night and had pain in my pelvis and worried I'd hurt the baby

This morning the baby feels higher up to my ribs, my tummy is solid and high and I feel less pressure in my pelvis ☹️ have I somehow moved him???

Starting to think he did want want them come out 😢

CluelessMummy Sat 08-Apr-17 01:37:48

I believe it's possible - got told a week before my due date that the baby had engaged. Ended up being induced and lo, no longer engaged (both according to obstetricians). I hope your little one arrives soon!

mistermagpie Sat 08-Apr-17 07:43:36

Yes it is possible, especially if this isn't your first baby.

It also possible to go into labour when the head is not engaged though, so don't worry too much. Its happened to me twice, the last time was two weeks ago, I was examined at 7pm ahead of a potential induction and was told the head wasn't engaged, however I went into spontaneous labour at 10pm and was holding my baby at just after midnight.

hopsalong Sat 08-Apr-17 10:19:15

Yes, my DS was mostly engaged at 39 weeks and then seemed to start backing away from my pelvis so at 41+3 head was completely free-floating! I am not sure it is necessarily that significant (someone with more advice will be along) if you haven't been having contractions, but in my case it did seem (said the surgeon who performed the eventual c-section) to be a case of "true cephalopelvic disproportion". (Apparently this is not common, though.)

BigGrannyPants Sat 08-Apr-17 10:37:45

Call your MW OP, get checked out

MrsG2017 Mon 10-Apr-17 04:38:09

Thanks everyone I think I am just being overly paranoid every twinge/movement/lack of movement anything has my senses going ATM.

babynelly2010 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:32:37

I am 40+2 today, had this last week. Saw my gp for routine 40 week appointment and to my surprise baby was engaged even though it did not feel like that. This is my 3rd, he said it is only for 1st pregnancy that you need to worry about baby getting engaged at this point. For consecutive pregnancies they can move until you are in labour. Obviously if they are breech or transverse that is a different story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now