Talk

Advanced search

Best 'Old Wives Tales' heard RE: pregnancy

(25 Posts)
ExpatMrs Fri 07-Apr-17 21:15:00

Another thread on MN made me think of this - What's the best old wives tales you've heard RE: pregnancy?
Most common whenever I mention my hellish heartburn is, 'ooh your baby will have lots of hair when it's born'
More randomly I've been told that when carrying a boy then the shape of your nose changes/gets bigger. If carrying a girl then you're not as pretty as 'she steals your beauty'.
Any other funny/good ones?

punkpuffin Fri 07-Apr-17 21:19:22

Apparently I'm having a girl because I've had horrendous morning sickness this time round. I have 2 boys and no morning sickness with those. Also because I'm craving savoury things this time but craved sweet things with the others.

ExpatMrs Fri 07-Apr-17 21:23:53

Just remembered another.
After I'd heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time, a friend asked me, 'Does it sound like a galloping horse or a runaway train?'
My first instinct was galloping horse and I was very confidently told that I was expecting a girl. Now I've heard the heartbeat a few times since and I argue with myself between horse or train noises haha

JJ1612 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:28:03

The heartburn one meaning they are gonna have lots of hair makes me giggle because with my first I had horrendous heartburn and she was practically bald until about 18 months. I've had it even worse with this pregnancy so be interesting to see how "hairy" she is lol

ExpatMrs Fri 07-Apr-17 21:30:22

JJ - my DM had horrific heartburn with me and I was the only girl in the nursery pic without pigtails as I had this pixie crop that just refused to grow gringringrin

Funnyonion17 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:34:44

punk puffin don't dismiss that one! I had two boys and was fine, 3rd pregnancy was so sick and exhausted and very hormonal. Turned out to be a girl!

ExpatMrs Sat 08-Apr-17 15:38:11

I've had very conflicting opinions from folks in respect of how I'm carrying (all bump, can't tell I'm pregnant from the back) - This has made some adamant it's defo one sex over the other. Nothing consistent though.

Lemondrop09 Sat 08-Apr-17 17:59:16

God, if the heartburn one is true, my baby is going to pop out looking like a yeti!!!

Lemondrop09 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:00:18

Re: sickness, I have a friend who had terrible sickness with both children (so bad she passed out in the toilet at work!). Both sons.

KP86 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:04:56

I had a huge, bulbous,pregnant nose (which thankfully went away again postpartum) and it was a boy.

ExpatMrs Sat 08-Apr-17 18:18:12

Lemondrop09 mine too!!! Yeti.... hahahahahah

putdownyourphone Sat 08-Apr-17 18:22:30

Random people always commented on my bump - high/low, big/small, my heartburn, morning sickness etc. I was actuallly having one of each so must have had all of the symptoms!

Comealongpond89 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:32:56

I had no heartburn and horrible morning sickness for 5 months. Had a girl with lots of hair

OnNaturesCourse Sat 08-Apr-17 19:16:52

No sickness or only feeling sick... Girl
Sickness... Boy.

Funny, wonder how these things came about

thecatsarecrazy Sun 09-Apr-17 07:04:07

My first 2 were little baldies my 3rd has a full head of dark hair. People keep asking me if I had heartburn. I did I had it awful but I really don't think his hair caused it grin

2ducks2ducklings Sun 09-Apr-17 07:19:13

My nan always shouts at me for sitting with my legs crossed. Apparently, it causes babies to be born cross eyed!

Eminybob Sun 09-Apr-17 07:50:08

My DSM told me not to stretch my arms up over my head when I was helping her to hang curtains as it can cause the cord to be wrapped around the babies head. I was only about 12 weeks!

ExpatMrs Sun 09-Apr-17 19:04:20

2ducks...

Eeeek! My legs are always crossed! As I'm now in my 39th wk it seems a bit late to stop.

I'll report back when the small person is born and confirm gender against all these comments!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 09-Apr-17 20:48:18

My midwife believes the horse/train thing. She is full of shit though. My mum had terrible heartburn with both babies, one of whom was monkey hairy and the other bald until age 3.

ExpatMrs Mon 10-Apr-17 01:23:31

*TestingTesting
She is full of shit though

gringringringrin

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Apr-17 08:47:43

I had horrendous heartburn all preg. Huge bottle gavusicin weekly and yes my 13day daughter came out with and still has tons of hair

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Apr-17 08:49:56

Heartbeat the earlier is is heard and recorded the higher it is then a girl

Again true with madam. Heart was 164 at 7w and def pink

DinosaurFanGirl Mon 10-Apr-17 14:44:17

Carrying low means a boy and carrying high means a girl. This one was right for me and my sister, she had a girl and I'm having a boy. But then again we have completely different builds and so that could explain why we carried differently too...

user1480264544 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:33:31

With my first daughter horrific heartburn - full head of hair at bith and down past her shoulders by age 1! Faster heart beat and horrific morning sickness and sweet cravings ..Same goes for my second pregnancy also a girl although i can't comment on her hair as she's not with me yet! X

2017Babyontheway Mon 10-Apr-17 15:48:07

I've heard:
no sickness = boy
Sickness =girl
Carrying out front = boy
carrying all around =girl

My skin has been really bad and some say that's a boy but others say it's a girl stealing it's mothers looks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now