Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing from Citalopram to Sertraline?

(14 Posts)
witsender Fri 07-Apr-17 20:57:38

I currently take 20mg of Citalopram daily, and GP has suggested I swap to Sertraline 50mg as I am pregnant... Anyone have any experiences? Am nervous about switching. confused

Bobbins43 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:07:56

I've switched and it's been fine. Sertraline is great! I'm not pregnant though...

FurryElephant Fri 07-Apr-17 21:08:10

Unfortunately not a good experience blushi didn't get on with citalopram either, but when I switched to sertraline i kept feeling worse and worse and they kept upping the dose, it affected me so badly that they thought I actually had bipolar/a personality disorder (which I don't) confusedI came off the sertraline (without medical advice) when I became pregnant and have never actually felt better! I put it down to the hormones as I had no other explanation blush
Sorry that that's not a very positive experience but Im sure it's not a very common thing to happen! If you do start feeling horribly worse definitely go back and speak to someone!

PTphonehome Fri 07-Apr-17 22:42:20

I'm on 10mg citalopram and have been told it's fine in pregnancy though I keep forgetting to take it. Why do they want you to change?

FrenchFrys Sat 08-Apr-17 07:52:25

I switched and everything was fine.

witsender Sat 08-Apr-17 08:07:08

I don't know, the GP just said they normally recommend Sertraline. I was reading a summary of all the studies done and both drugs had the same results, and as they're from the same family of drugs it seems a little pointless?

user1471541467 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:53:52

I've also switched and it was fine. It took about a week to feel back to normal again as I had a few headaches at first.

Emeraude Sat 08-Apr-17 14:20:23

I would get a second opinion. I have actually cut down and then come off citalopram but I was told by both a GP and my midwife that it is fine to take in pregnancy. Messing around with anti-depressants is really not an easy path.

BlaBla80 Tue 11-Apr-17 08:05:50

My GP has made me come off sertraline (sp?) I'm feeling rubbish but she said it's a high risk drug?!

arbrighton Tue 11-Apr-17 08:31:09

BlaBla, get a second opinion, my GP said I could take sertraline if really needed but as I was relatively well when we had the conversation, on balance, better to be off it. Consultants I've seen have said it would be fine too.

Not sure why your GP said high risk

GastonsWife Tue 11-Apr-17 08:56:27

Blabla I was told that sertraline was fine through pregnancy and breastfeeding. I think GPs have different opinions on these things.

arbrighton Tue 11-Apr-17 09:34:30

But it shouldn't be down to their opinion, it should be down to NICE guidelines/ research etc.

GRRRR

BlaBla80 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:56:43

Thanks ladies will look into this further! I was also on topamax for severe migraine (stroke symptoms) and was told to stop this too...but it's the sertraline I'm concerned with as I feel yuck...

Toddlerteaplease Tue 11-Apr-17 10:00:28

I'm not pregnant. But was in Escitalopram which was great but I gained loads of weight so swapped to sertraline with no problem whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now