Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Polyhydramnios / excess fluid

(10 Posts)
Suzysuz Fri 07-Apr-17 20:18:29

Am 38+1 today, went into hospital last night - still had movements but not as strong as usual so wanted to be sure.

Baby checked out fine but in oblique type position (he's been transverse, then breech last Friday in scan). Was admitted overnight due to unstable positions.

Baby's movements and heart rate still fine this morning, felt head in more downward position, had internal check (cervix high & completely closed). Scan to double check head down which confirmed it but also identified excess fluid - measuring 27.4cm, deepest pockets are two at 8cm each.

Had GTT at 28 weeks which was all clear, stomach not measuring excessively and within the 2cm/weeks allowance.

Have cesarean booked in for 39+6

Sent home this evening, due back Monday for monitoring follow up and to see if any available earlier cesarean slots.

I'm just bricking it really 😞 They went though the risk of cord prolapse, importance of getting to hosp straight away if any contractions/blood/cramps which all sounds really scary - but on the other hand were content to discharge me, have 'low risk' written on summary of today's notes and told that would be really rare for a first birth to suddenly have waters break and cervix open fully.

All makes sense but doesn't stop me feeling really anxious now! This is first baby, conceived through IVF. The hospital I chose for birth is about 25mins usually, longer if bad traffic. If was a 999 situation would obviously go to nearest hospital but even that would take 15mins even with sirens on.

Anyone else any experiences of
Polyhydramnios / excess fluid in last few weeks of pregnancy?

thecatsarecrazy Fri 07-Apr-17 20:37:05

I had this in 3rd pregnancy picked up at 38 weeks. They too scared me talking about risks of cord and waters going. I was induced at 39plus 3 and had to stay in hospital after induction. Everything was fine. Waters never went they got a doc in to pop them to try and speed up labour. Every push there was fluid it was the weirdest feeling.

thecatsarecrazy Fri 07-Apr-17 20:39:39

Also I was sent for a scan at 32 weeks because mw thought bump smaller than it should be but baby was 9lb 2 grin

Suzysuz Fri 07-Apr-17 20:41:05

Thanks so much for replying cats

thecatsarecrazy Fri 07-Apr-17 20:44:13

No problem. I was on here myself asking the same not long ago.

vfoster Fri 07-Apr-17 20:47:35

I had this with my first pregnancy. I remember how scary all the risks were! I worried and worried about my waters going from about 34 weeks and had to monitored at the hospital every few days.
In the end I was induced on my due date. After two days my waters still hadn't broken so they, in one midwife's words, brought the 'big guns out' 😳. There was a midwife who was notorious for being able to break stubborn water and after a very uncomfortable few minutes she managed to do it. I thought to myself, after all the worry about them breaking, they didn't want to break!
I think they have to tell you about the risks but they are not very common.
Best of luck with it all, I'm only 25 weeks with my second so not sure if I'll get it again (they didn't know why I had it the first time) but I'd definitely be less worried the second time!

putthespoondown Fri 07-Apr-17 20:56:31

I had this in my second pregnancy, Although I didn't have it with my 3rd. I like you OP we're scared with what I was being told, and I stupidly googled it! I had to have a cesarean due to complications with my 1st pregnancy nothing to do with the excess fluid and made my cesarean at 39+6. They took my daughter down to paediatrics when she was born to check her over to make sure she could feed properly as that could be a complication, however, extremely rare. I know all too well your fears, hoping all is well.

putthespoondown Fri 07-Apr-17 20:59:25

Oh and the almighty SPLOSH of my waters being pierced when I had my cesarean was rather amusing, it went all over the floor!x

Suzysuz Fri 07-Apr-17 21:41:33

Thank you Spoon

Suzysuz Sat 08-Apr-17 08:42:03

Thanks vfoster

Really appreciate the replies! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now