Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Talk to me about early scans

(18 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 19:42:13

When did you get one? Why? Was it worth it? Im considering one at 9 or 10 weeks for peace of mind.

Helbelle75 Thu 06-Apr-17 19:47:30

We had one at 10weeks for reassurance after a previous loss. It was worth every penny. Seeing that little heart beat was the best moment of my life so far.

MsBranwen Thu 06-Apr-17 20:01:51

I am going to have one tomorrow, I'll be 10 weeks 2 days. We're going on holiday next week and decided it would be really good just to know before we go whether everything is okay so that we can enjoy the holiday more and if things aren't okay we'll be able to use our time away to support and nurture each other. I am so anxious though!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 21:12:11

Aw Good Luck!! Let us know how it goes xxx

haveacupoftea Fri 07-Apr-17 07:14:10

Totally worth it as you know your odds are much better once youve seen a heartbeat. From 8 weeks on is fine.

cookielove Fri 07-Apr-17 07:18:25

I had one at 7+4 (I think) in hindsight I wish I had left it a bit later as I had a previous mmc where the baby had died at 8+5 and I think getting oast that mark would have been more reassuring! However I now have a two year old so we did make it in the end 😀

CluelessMummy Fri 07-Apr-17 07:18:48

I had shooting pains down my left side so the doctor sent me for a scan at 7 weeks. It looked like a jelly bean at that point but most importantly was healthy!

JellyTeapot Fri 07-Apr-17 07:25:38

I had one at around 7 weeks because I'd been having some spotting. Found out it was twins which gave me extra time to process it before announcing it to everyone after my 12 week scan!

MsBranwen Fri 07-Apr-17 15:35:21

Best money I've ever spent! Just saw little baby for the first time at 10 weeks 2 days and it was very wriggly! I think I would have waited until 12 weeks if we weren't going away, but I feel so happy now, for me it was definitely worth going for an earlier scan.

Helbelle75 Fri 07-Apr-17 19:16:08

Awww lovely news!

Backhometothenorth Fri 07-Apr-17 19:25:19

Yes absolutely worth every penny. Wonderful to put my mind at rest after two mmc's. Congratulations flowers

ButterflyFree Fri 07-Apr-17 19:32:57

I had my first at 6w5d to confirm the pregnancy, then I had two more at 8 weeks and 10 weeks due to bleeding. At 8 weeks when the bleeding started I was convinced I was miscarrying and absolutely devastated - went to hospital the next morning and was SO relieved to hear the heartbeat. My extra scans were covered by health insurance anyway but for the level of reassurance it definitely would have been worth paying for too.

Emma2803 Fri 07-Apr-17 20:35:25

I had my booking scan at 10+4 and this was what my little kidney bean looked like!!! The Dr thought I was further along than I was!! Monkey is now 2!!

FluffyEwok Sun 09-Apr-17 09:07:56

Had one yesterday at 7 weeks. The hb was strong so I feel better because I don't really have any symptoms

OnNaturesCourse Sun 09-Apr-17 10:32:13

Fluffy... How cute, and reassuring! I'm thinking of one at maybe 9 weeks after our first midwife appointment xx

BlueKarou Sun 09-Apr-17 10:35:08

I had ivf and so they gave me a scan at 7+5 to be sure everything was ok before they released me to the care of my mw and gp. Was lovely to see the tiny flickering heartbeat!

SleepFreeZone Sun 09-Apr-17 10:36:05

I've had lots of early scans, all good but one pregnancy the baby was alive and seemingly well at 7 weeks but dead at 11 weeks sadly. So I think they can give temporary peace of mind but they are by no means definitive.

Orangebird69 Sun 09-Apr-17 10:37:25

I had one at 5+4, because I could. I just wanted it confirmed that I was actually pregnant. Seeing that little flickering heartbeat was the best thing ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now