Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Delayed cord clamping with c section?

(13 Posts)
Notevenoverdue Thu 06-Apr-17 17:15:09

Has anyone had a c section with delayed cord clamping?

I'm currently 41+5 and trying to plan for what might happen if I dont get induced/ failed induction and have a c section.

I've read loads about how important delayed clamping is and id be gutted if it couldn't happen!

Obviously if baby's healthy and happy that's the most important thing. But still would prefer delayed clamping smile

LuchiMangsho Thu 06-Apr-17 17:19:51

You can ask for it. Having been around a lot of medic chat, it's in the 'would be nice to do' category like breastfeeding. Don't put pressure on yourself. No reason why they wouldn't agree to it. I didn't have it for my first full term baby (C section) but for my second who is a micro preemie, the doctors insisted on it because for a 960 gm baby it is almost like a blood transfusion (and he had two blood transfusions before discharge).

Notevenoverdue Thu 06-Apr-17 17:22:35

I have an appointment today to discuss everything with the consultant - I'll bring it up thensmile

Out of interest (if you don't mind me asking) how did they delay the cord clamping for your second baby? Did they deliver the baby and wait before removing the placenta/cutting cord or did they deliver the placenta and delay it that way?

Sorry for being so nosyblush

LauraPalmersBodybag Thu 06-Apr-17 17:23:42

My team managed it for me and my daughter after much polite but firm insistence on my part. In the end they were able to bring in a little portable incubator type bed that kept the baby warm for the few minutes after she was born and the blood transferred over. All went without a hitch.

Hth smile

Orangebird69 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:26:12

Don't panic too much about it. Your baby won't suffer if it doesn't happen.

AConvivialHost Thu 06-Apr-17 17:28:33

I was told during my section in December that the hospital did delayed cord clamping as standard, unless there was an issue that precluded it.

LauraPalmersBodybag Thu 06-Apr-17 17:30:43

Also - just responding to your most recent post, I think my doctors approach was 'as long as it doesn't get in the way of what we need to do safely, then it's do-able'. They delivered my baby, put her in the little warming bed with cord still pulsating and the medical team checked her over, the surgeons removed the placenta and then I guess they cut the cord shortly after.

All of this I had to be told by the way...I was out of my mind not being able to feel my legs, desperately thirsty and begging my anesthetist for a drink and wailing 'I'm really not enjoying this' to anyone that would listen! (It really wasn't bad, just incredibly surreal and I was so thirsty).

Good luck!

elliejjtiny Thu 06-Apr-17 17:32:11

I did delayed cordcord clamping for my 1st, 3rd and 4th babies (2nd and 5th had to be resuscitated so cord was cut straight away). Dc4 was a section birth but still managed to do delayed cord clamping for about 5 or 10 minutes. Not as long as with my 1st and 3rd. 1st was delayed for 30 mins and 3rd was a bit longer.

Notevenoverdue Thu 06-Apr-17 17:59:10

Thanks for all the replies.. Feel less anxious about if I end up having one now. How long does it take to feel okay afterwards - and able to move around without pain?flowers

AConvivialHost Thu 06-Apr-17 18:20:04

I've had two with an uneventful recovery both times and think they are great. My last was in December and I would have been allowed out the next day apart from my little one had an issue with her blood sugars. You'll be fine the day of the op, due to the diamorphine, but will be catheterised until you pass enough urine. You then need to maintain your urine output, or they will re-catheterise you, so just focus on drinking lots. I had to have blood thinning injections to reduce the risk of PEs and they were the worst thing for me, as I don't like injections. I was allowed out on Day 3 and pain was minimal by then and I didn't need painkillers after Day 2.

The other thing I always mention to people, as I wish someone had mentioned it to me is that once you have the spinal and your legs are numb and you're lay down on the operating tabke, they tilt the table so you're on your side slightly. When I had my first CS, I honestly thought I was going to slide off the table as you can't feel any resistance 😆

Hope all goes well for you!

LuchiMangsho Thu 06-Apr-17 18:32:27

Up and about for a shower the next day (both times)- very gingerly. Needed painkillers for 5/6 days. Couldn't feel a twinge by day 19 for the first and similarly for the second. I enjoyed my first CS- it was calm and lovely. With my 2nd as he was 26 weeks it was much more fraught.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 06-Apr-17 19:12:47

My hospital appear to do delayed cord clamping with sections as standard.

HandbagFan Thu 06-Apr-17 20:01:27

I also felt quite strongly. But after three days of failed inductions, it was a c section for us. They did a version of delayed clamping - the baby's cord is cut before they weigh / cover / hand to you, so they squeeze down the cord so as much of the blood in it transfers into the baby and you get most of the benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now