We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Grant and Child tax credit?

(20 Posts)
confuseddot Thu 06-Apr-17 16:47:27

So I'm not sure whether I'm entitled to either. Neve rbene pregnant. Never been on benefits.

Me and my partner are on less than 30k atm. Even when partner gets pay rise eventually we will be on less than 40k. We have a mortgage. Are we entitled to anything?

The calculators confuse me as I don't know whether I could my actual wage or if I were to be on mat leave

elliejjtiny Thu 06-Apr-17 17:38:22

Definitely no maternity grant, you'd need a joint income of less than 15k for that and I think it's got stricter since I claimed it for ds1 11 years ago. Tax credits I don't think so. Not sure what the cut off is for that, about 26k I think for your joint income.

confuseddot Thu 06-Apr-17 18:16:16

Thanks!! We're gonna have to save thousands to make up my pay cuts a whole 6 or 9 months. Joys of living in an expensive area I guess x

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 18:51:35

Hey. I'm the same, the calculators give me a headache.

Our house has 40k + annually which will go down to 27k when I'm on mat leave (after standard mat pay ends) We rent and it seems we will get nothing other than child tax credit of like £20 or so a week?

confuseddot Thu 06-Apr-17 20:17:42

On nature's course. It's ridiculous isn't. Feels like I need to be earning mega ££££ to have a child. We have a fair disposable income as we are which we do save our spend doing the house up atm. We're looking to move to lower our mortgage payments and not have to do the house up. Houses in our area are selling within a day the ones were interested in. It feels like I'm never going to find another house atm and can't stay here as we have steep steps up to the house. Yet my cousins have multiple children and a nice house given to them and no need to work and go out all the time and always shopping. The joys!!

LivingForHim Thu 06-Apr-17 20:22:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FrenchFrys Thu 06-Apr-17 21:05:53

We aren't entitled to anything. I'm not even entitled to maternity pay as I haven't been at my job long enough. Doingitforhim we are on over £50,000 a year when we are both working. So we can afford a child. Just not as comfortably as we would like. If I was entitled to normal maternity pay we would be fine. sad

FrenchFrys Thu 06-Apr-17 21:06:31

Obviously meant living for him 😫

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 21:07:17

Yeah, seems to me like you have to know how to work the system

If my partner and I both quit work or worked under 16 hours each , and had two babies, we'd be better off as our house would be paid, we'd get child benefits plus extra.

But we have pride.

Ignore previous comment. You can afford the child, it's a blessing not a burden, it's just a shock to suddenly have to budget for one!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 21:09:26

Then there's the "do I work full, part or not at all" after mat leave ... Totally impacts income

user1490291922 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:19:23

Ignore livingforhim comment, what a silly thing to say on this post! You will be able to afford baby comfortably, just sit down and work out finances I find that makes everything better

AlwaysTiredAlwaysBusy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:26:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AlwaysTiredAlwaysBusy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:29:25

Sorry my spell check had a mind of its own there and predictive test. Angry typer!! angry

gamerchick Thu 06-Apr-17 21:32:00

Ignore living this one has been on multiple threads with a pointy stick. On purpose I would think.

OP highly unlikely you'll be entitled to anything, the only way to know is to apply when babies here, that may be simpler.

AlwaysTiredAlwaysBusy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:33:58

Okay fab. We can afford without. It's just that I don't get company maternity pay as haven't been there a year. Moved there as much better money than previous job. I am luckily entitled to statutory mat pay which is a bonus. Other half is getting a pay rise in may once he's finished his gas qualification so we will survive. I just thought I'd check. Thanks all x

ZilphasHatpin Thu 06-Apr-17 21:38:32

Yet my cousins have multiple children and a nice house given to them and no need to work and go out all the time and always shopping

Yeah, sure. hmm

Obvious troll is obvious.

AlwaysTiredAlwaysBusy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:42:51

Me being a troll or livingforhim??

I do have cousins that sit on their ass claim benefits have a house go shopping and take drugs on a regular basis, Oh and have regularly stole from my nan in the l
Past as she has dementia. So unless that classes as working?.....

ZilphasHatpin Thu 06-Apr-17 21:51:06

Are you the OP? Did you have a name change fail?

AlwaysTiredAlwaysBusy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:53:43

Oh you're the troll hmmgrin my bad!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 06-Apr-17 22:34:28

Anyone else confused lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now