Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Clueless about prams

(33 Posts)
chelle85 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:39:04

We went into babies r us the other day and came out more confused than when we started.

I want a pram that can be used from birth so needs to lay flat but I would rather avoid a full travel system if possible as I don't have the storage for all the bits.

We want something sturdy with good wheels that will withstand brisk walking as we like to get out and about so it wouldn't just be used for the shops etc. We like the 3 wheel but there doesn't seem much choice around

Needs to be easy to fold and fit in an average sized hatchback boot.

Any recommendations?

arbrighton Thu 06-Apr-17 17:51:40

The mothercare journey travel system isn't so bad as the lie flat bit converts into the buggy later on (and it's not that expensive) and the price also includes the car seat.

It's probably ok on reasonably surfaced paths

Folds really small and pretty much one handed- it'll be fine in either of our hatchback boots.

ems137 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:00:51

One of the more expensive maclaren pushchairs are suitable from birth. Or a bugaboo bee.

SweepTheHalls Thu 06-Apr-17 18:02:01

Icandy or baby jogger. Get one with a carry cot option and baby can sleep in it downstairs with you in the daytime. Congratulations smile

Sparklyuggs Thu 06-Apr-17 18:34:38

Babyzen yo-yo?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 06-Apr-17 18:38:01

I might have misunderstood, but if your baby will regularly be going in the car, I'd make sure you had a pram which could take the car seat. Babies often fall asleep in the car and having to transfer the to the pram/carry them in the car seat while you pop to Tesco is a pain. I was really sad when my little one outgrew the baby seat so had to be taken out every time.

Ilovewillow Thu 06-Apr-17 18:40:29

We've had two three wheelers, both of which I would highly recommend. If space is an issue have a look at the mountain buggy range - they do a carrycot for laying flat as well. I've also had a out and about which was bigger but brilliant. They also do a carrycot but we didn't have one so not sure how good it is.

Bubblysqueak Thu 06-Apr-17 18:56:50

The britax b agile 3 wheeler is great. We had it from birth. It served both dc and was used for everything from walking the dog up the woods to shopping in town. Light weight with 1 handed steering.

chelle85 Thu 06-Apr-17 19:40:23

See I am also confused about the car seat thing because I thought they weren't supposed to be in them for more than 20 minutes so I don't see much point in being able to attach that to the pram as most journeys would take that in the car any way?! How old are they before they can stay in car seat for prolonged periods?

Astro55 Thu 06-Apr-17 19:43:04

There are better propped up helps with wind - and they sleep better!!

DuggeeHugs Thu 06-Apr-17 19:48:23

When DC was born in 2015 we were told it was 2 hours maximum in the car seat, although advice may have changed.

Had you considered slings and wraps at all? For us it took the faff out of it all and we reached 16 months before using a buggy

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 06-Apr-17 20:13:43

I thought 2 hours max in a car seat too so they're really useful for shopping trips

JimbosJetSet Thu 06-Apr-17 20:14:08

I highly recommend not buying a buggy until the baby arrives. You will be able to get buy without one for a week or two after the birth at least, and once the baby is here you will have a much better idea of what you actually want from your buggy.

BentleyBelly Thu 06-Apr-17 20:39:42

I have an Out n About Nipper with carry cot attachment. It's great on all surfaces, we specifically got it as we go cross country a lot. Not the most attractive out there but good value for money and practical.

Nan0second Thu 06-Apr-17 20:42:06

Baby jogger city mini (gt)
Can get a soft insert for newborn (Graco do one that fits)
Bloody brilliant pushchair and lasts forever.
The gt is bigger with better wheels so depends on budget and off roading as to which will suit best

ispymincepie Thu 06-Apr-17 20:44:05

With my first dc we bought a travel system in advance and realised when we started using it we didn't like it for various reasons. We ended up buying another one or three. Got a double for dc2. Dc3 we spent an astronomical amount of money on a new one and he refused to go in it and he only ever went in a sling. Dc4 I just use slings too. So basically I wouldn't buy a pram until you really need one!

ispymincepie Thu 06-Apr-17 20:45:00

Also, I would totally avoid getting one you can affix car seat too as it's way too tempting to leave them in it too long.

welshweasel Thu 06-Apr-17 20:50:03

We bought a travel system then ended up using a stretchy wrap then sling, never really used the carrycot and shouldn't have bothered with the infant car seat as used to pop him in the sling as soon as we got anywhere. I'd second waiting until the baby actually arrives before you spend hundreds of pounds on something that may prove impractical.

chelle85 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:14:18

It was at an antenatal class a few weeks ago we were told 20 mins max in car seat. Just googled it (and whilst I appreciate The Sun isn't a great source) and there were articles from last Oct
www.thesun.co.uk/living/1905566/babies-shouldnt-be-taken-for-anything-but-the-shortest-car-trips-due-to-suffocation-risk/

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 06-Apr-17 22:23:37

www.nhs.uk/news/2016/10October/Pages/Warning-over-babies-sleeping-in-car-seats.aspx

This might be a better source. I think 20 minutes advice is a bit hysterical for the year or so that group 0/1 car seats fit. This talks about newborns. I'm not sure when newborn stops, but I'd agree that I wouldn't want to take a brand new baby on lots of very long car journeys, but at, say 3m, I'd be happy to have them in the car seat, supervised by me, for more than an hour.

DuggeeHugs Thu 06-Apr-17 22:27:52

20 minutes seems very short - we're among many who wouldn't be able to take baby home from the hospital in that time! I completely understand constant supervision in the car seat for newborns though.

starsinyourpies Thu 06-Apr-17 22:42:20

Baby jogger city mini or the GT version, can get car seat adaptors if needed but it goes flat as previous poster says.

I think the 20 minutes guidance is for the first month or so?

MissT2095 Fri 07-Apr-17 07:19:59

I went to a mothercare expectant parents event a few weeks back. It was ever so helpful with figuring out which pushchair would be right for us

They also advised 2 hours max in a car seat

chelle85 Fri 07-Apr-17 07:42:51

I was shocked when they said it but it was at an NHS antenatal class we were told 20 mins. Everyone in the class was surprised. I suppose it applies til baby is able to lift their head.

Will have a look at some of the suggestions. I have also looked at slings and considering one for some things but would like to give my back a break for longer walks

Gunpowder Fri 07-Apr-17 07:52:46

The sun article says 20 mins until they are one month old. One month will go super quickly and for the first month they might not even go in the pram but be in a sling.

I think I'd want the option of clipping the car seat to the buggy. It's so useful if they fall asleep at the end of a journey and you don't want to wake them. You can get adaptors for the Bugaboo bee which folds up to be small. I walk miles with ours but it's not good on rough terrain like fields etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now