Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PCOS and Miscarriage?

(9 Posts)
user1490447566 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:32:32

Hi ladies,

I'm 8 weeks today - first pregnancy and I have PCOS. I've never had irregular periods and didn't use any medication to conceive.

During my 5th week, I had a couple of days of spotting and was probably slightly over anxious so was seen by the early pregnancy unit. Had a scan on 6w 5d which showed a healthy little thing with a heartbeat.

Just when I had started to be a bit more chilled about this whole pregnancy thing, I read today that women with PCOS are up to 50% more likely to miscarry during the first trimester?! Is this the case?

I've also read that many women with PCOS are put on progesterone supplements. I'm confused as to why, even when I went in with spotting, my progesterone levels weren't tested and why this link between PCOS and Miscarriage hasn't been mentioned by my doctor?

Any advice/ thoughts would be really welcome.

Thanks!

FluffyEwok Thu 06-Apr-17 17:40:32

I've seen the midwife today who said there's no heightened risk.

user1490447566 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:43:38

Really? That's amazing if definitely correct. Did she say anything else?

FluffyEwok Thu 06-Apr-17 17:56:46

she seemed to know her stuff. I'm on metformin so she's booked me for a consultant apt at 10 weeks. I was even low risk for gestational diabetes but they do a glucose tolerance test at 24 weeks

motherchuckinhen16 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:09:32

I also have pcos and heard the same about the increased risk of miscarriage, however my midwife said not to worry about it as once you are pregnant your ovaries have done their bit and are now dormant. Like you I had an early scan to check the pregnancy was viable and all was ok. I'm now 20 weeks. I conceived naturally for the first time after 6.5 years of TTC and 2 IVF cycles. Hope everything goes ok for you. Try not to worry and stay positive.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 06-Apr-17 18:44:36

I've never heard of a link. Anecdotally I'm on my third pregnancy. First was a live birth, second was a miscarriage, up to 36 weeks on this one. That's pretty much the same as my friends without pcos and much better than one of them.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've escaped a lot of pregnancy symptoms, e.g. No sickness.

user1490447566 Thu 06-Apr-17 19:00:55

I'm so pleased I asked this now. Thank you for your responses: you've really put my mind at rest.

I'm not suffering many symptoms either, @TestingTestingWonTooFree - I almost feel like having some MS would be a bit of a comfort blanket but I'm trying to banish that thought from my head!

Congratulation @motherchuckinhen16 - wonderful news!

@FluffyEwok - just out of interest, what are you thinking in regards to the GTT? They've booked me in for one too as my BMI is 27. I'm eating pretty healthily anyway but allowing myself the odd thing that I fancy but I'm considering switching to a low GI diet as a preemptive measure...

Thanks again for your reassurances, ladies.

FluffyEwok Thu 06-Apr-17 19:14:35

my BMI is 21! always been small! I'll have it because its offered but I'm not worried about it. I didn't conceive on a low GI diet so I'm not sure if it'll make any difference but I'm trying to be good😃

MiMiMaguire Thu 06-Apr-17 19:18:02

I have PCOS and had 2 early miscarriages and was put on progesterone supplement with third pregnancy for first 12 weeks as low progesterone can be a cause of miscarriage in PCOS sufferers, placenta takes over at 12 weeks so no need for the supplement, you've got far enough into first trimester that it's unlikely an issue for you, try relax and go with what the medics are telling you, best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now